Can the factory bed cover latches be released manually?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Foster

Reaction score
'02 Sport Trac (manual trans, btw) in the salvage yard has a factory bed cover. The cover itself is only so-so, and I don't need it, but I'd like to get it open and get the brackets even if I don't buy the cover. The original cables have been replaced with cords, but pulling on the cords isn't releasing the latches. Any way to release them with a screwdriver or pick of some sort?

As long as you can get the tailgate down you can reach in and manually pull the cables to release or you can use a flat head to pop each sides lock open by releasing the latch

I got it off and got the brackets I wanted. They wanted too much for the cover, especially since it was only good for parts after I previously got the front lock covers. To pull the cables, you have to reach in through the side of the latch and grab the bare cable with needle nose pliers, or push/pry the the right spot in latch from the back side of the latch assembly.