carbon build up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hi folks, I am curious about carbon build-up in the 4.0 engine. I have a 2002 4.0 engine. I drive much a grandmother! The most driving I do is maybe 5 times a week about 5-8 miles from home. Sometimes I get up to 60-65 mph for a minute or two. The rest is all in-town driving and doesn't even get much of a warm-up other than in my carport. There are 158K miles on the engine and it runs well, with no complaints other than a dry start rattle.
Do you folks think there could be some carbon build up and how can I tell? I just saw the Car Wizzard do a carbon clean to his wife's car which is what got me thing.
Looking forward to any advice, thanks God bless Ed

Seafoam treatment

Gumout 510011 Multi-System Tune-Up, 16 oz.​

Can't recommend this enough.

sorry guys, I am wondering how to tell if the valves and pistons are carboned up!
again sorry

Ed, you will need a camera that will fit thru the spark plug hole. I have a $90 from HF with a 3" lcd . I tried using it in my Harley Davidson combustion chambers. The quality is terrible. The ones I have seen that work the best are very expensive.
What makes you suspect carbon build up. Performance problems??

Aloha Eddie, Thought maybe there was some, and I didn't know it. The truck runs well other than the dry start in the morning. I always crank until there is oil pressure. Should I say about the carbon, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
God bless thanks for your help Ed

Latest posts