Carbon up chrome exhaust tip

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel Pilgrim

Reaction score
Has anyone had to keep cleaning the adrenalin exaust tip each week when washing? I noticed mine has carbon on it. I'm running the mileage tune now to see if there is a difference. IAC is clean. I run sea foam once every six months too. I only have 39,750 Kms so not high mileage. Any ideas?:banghead:

Years ago, black exhaust tips usually mean that your engine is running rich, but that is not the case today.

I have a Mercedes with chrome exhaust tips and they have gotten black since the day I bought it new. I also have a new turbocharged 20016 Hyundai Tucson Sport with chrome exhaust tips and they have black smudges on them in only 3K miles. Sometimes the black smudges are more towards the bottom of the exhaust tip because condensation drips out of the exhaust system. That condensation is mixed with the black carbon particles it picked up in the exhaust pipe

Both vehicles get excellent fuel mileage (better than EPA estimates), great performance, and not running rich.

All gasoline vehicles emit some carbon and have black smudges on the exhaust tips, it's just the chrome exhaust tips that makes the black smudges more noticable. Some good chrome polish should reduce the deposits and make the black smudges easier to remove.

...Rich

My 2010 LTD does has the same issue. The bottom of the OEM tail pipe was stained with black carbon when I bought it at about 71K miles. I installed a Flowmaster muffler & chrome tip in May, and it quickly developed the same black buildup. I just clean/shine/buff it every once in a while with NeverDull.

??? I have had alot of chrome and polished SS tips. Never had carbon build up on the outside.

Only way I can see it happening is, if the tip isnt sealed good to the tailpipe. Leak at that point.

So this thread confuses me.....

I don't know why it's happening either, Eddie. But in this case its seems that it's unique to the Gen 2 V8, at least with Mel and I. Mine was doing on the OEM pipe, and now does it on the custom setup that I've installed. So I doubt it's a leak issue. But I've no other explanation for it.

My v8 STA tip stays pretty clean, I polish it maybe 2x a year. I have more of a problem with tar spots sticking to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another factor to consider is the climate you operate your vehicle in. Colder climates means that your engine will run a bit richer until it gets warmed up, and will cool down faster. So if make a lot of short trips, stop for an hour and then start up again your engine will be running a richer most of the time.

Having said that, I live in Central Texas where it is hot-hot about 9 months of the year and I rarely drive less than 15-20 miles when I go out anywhere....yet I have black smudges on the chrome exhaust tips of both of my vehicles

I think Eddie's answer may be on the right track? I think that some exhaust tips might have a drain hole near their mounting to the tail pipe to let accumulated condensation drip out rather than go out the tip. So a leak or drain hole near where the tip attaches to the exhaust might be beneficial in keeping the chrome exhaust tip cleaner??

...Rich

Another factor to consider is the climate you operate your vehicle in. Colder climates means that your engine will run a bit richer until it gets warmed up, and will cool down faster. So if make a lot of short trips, stop for an hour and then start up again your engine will be running a richer most of the time.

Having said that, I live in Central Texas where it is hot-hot about 9 months of the year and I rarely drive less than 15-20 miles when I go out anywhere....yet I have black smudges on the chrome exhaust tips of both of my vehicles

I think Eddie's answer may be on the right track? I think that some exhaust tips might have a drain hole near their mounting to the tail pipe to let accumulated condensation drip out rather than go out the tip. So a leak or drain hole near where the tip attaches to the exhaust might be beneficial in keeping the chrome exhaust tip cleaner??

...Rich

Latest posts