CarFax and advise for a possible Porsche purchase

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Loo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering the purchase of a 97 Porsche Boxter. Having never owned a Porsche (have owned 2 BMW's), would anyone be able to provide any insight to anything in particular to be on the lookout for?

Also, if anyone has a CarFax account, could you run this VIN: WP0CA2985VS623429

It looks to be in cherry condition, 80,000 miles, currently listed at a private sale for $7,700.00

The Boxter is kind a like a TT or Miata, IMO. You know you'd have a blast driving one but it's not the most "manly" car to be seen in. Doesn't matter...I still hope to build one of those cars into a track day toy someday. 300hp in any of those with a reworked suspension would be a g-force machine.

Sorry, like the other posts so far, I have nothing to say about the Boxter from personal experience.

From what I've learned on the internets is that the 97 models had some engine issues, but were detected within the first 10,000 miles and those engines have been replaced. If it lasted past that, you're good to go.

Many have commented how they don't like the boxster...I don't watch Two and a half men, so not sure what the reference is about.

This would be my wifes car and we have batted around the idea of a "vintage" Mercedes 560SL, among others.

Personally, I do like the styling of the Boxster. I realize it's not going to perform like a 911, but we're not going to run it around Daytona.

Me, I like an old 928, but she seems drawn to this car and if it makes her happy...:driving: :banana:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice. I say go for it. You could buy a Camry, Civic or some other boring car for the same price.

I have to say, I like the 560SL idea, too. Not as reliable or comfortable I'm sure, though. It's kind of like how I told my wife I'd get her a 2 seat convertible someday. I've convinced her into one of two: Cobra replica or '50s 'Vette.:grin:

Very nice, body style. It does need nicer wheels.

The dull silver painted, doesnt stand out.

Dark body color looks best with chrome or bright machined clearcoated, with polished or chrome lip.

Something in the way of a 2 peice for less unsprung weight. For best control and performance.

I am more of a Porsche purist and my preference is for the timeless styling of the 911. I never did like the 944, 924 or the 914. The Boxter is similar in styling to the 911 that it can pass, but after all, it is the "Poor man's Porsche".

I think the Boxter is more of a "Poor Woman's Car" since most of the one's I see are driven by women, but then so were the early Mustangs....I think it was Carrol Shelby who called the early Mustangs "a Secretary's Car" :grin: Having said that, I wanted to buy a new Mustang Fastback in 1965, but I got a much better deal on a new 1965 GTO...and never looked back.:supercool:

...Rich

Bill V,

If you can afford to drive any of those cars, you can afford the insurance too. Also, realize that they are not including any multi-car discounts, or Home Owner Insurance discounts.

I am 66 years old, single, and have a 2008 Mercedes C-300 Sport and a 2002 Toyota Highlander SUV and I insure both with GEICO as well as my home is with Travelers through GEICO. With $250 deductible on Collision and $300K/$100k in liability coverage, for both cars I pay about $470 for six-months. I also had an accident (my fault) with the Toyota about a year ago (first time in nearly 50 years), and I have at least two speeding tickets 3 years ago (both within a week):angry:

My policy renew comes up in September and my rate for the 6 month policy has gone up $5.00....Not so bad. Oddly enough it was over $630 for six-months when I only had the Mercedes with the same coverage....That's why I mentioned the multi-car discount....So if you buy two Mercedes, you can pay a lot less....:bwahaha:

...Rich

Latest posts