Cars That Best Retain Their Value

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife had a Honda CR-V and ended up getting rear-ended and the vihicle was totaled. After paying it off, we got a check for close to 5 grand. Which meant that the vehicle only lost $6k worth of its value over 4 years. What makes me mad is it would have been paid off last month..argh.

My dad used to have a BMW 740iL, got utterly hammered when he traded it in but he had a crapload of miles on it for a three-year-old car, almost 100k. $69,000 POS, worst car he ever owned. Traded it on a new Caddy down in Florida because he was literally afraid it wouldn't make it back to PA. Lesson learned was that Beemers are wonderful cars so long as they are on the maintenance-included warranty. The tip is if you want a BMW just lease it for three years, keep the mileage reasonable, and turn it in for another one when the warranty is up.

You expect a 3 year car to retain any value with 100,000 miles? LOL!! Sounds like it couldn't have been too big a POS by staying on the road 33,333 mpy.

No, like I said dad paid $69,000 but I neglected to mention that he got $14,000 for it on trade at the Caddy dealer. The Lincoln dealer wouldn't even take it. Kind of a big hit for three years. On the upside, the stock market was going big time then, he sold some stock to pay for it (essentially free money) so in a way he wasn't really out all that much. Lots of problems and breakage though, after the warranty every repair was $1000, minimum. Need brakes? $1000. Need air in the tires? $1000. Power steering leak? Only $500, but it'll be another $500 in a month when it leaks again.

For a big car it did run like a bat out of hell though.

Latest posts