Cat went bad

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric S

Reaction score
I got my oil changed at the dealer today and had it inspected for what was causing my trac to lose power on the freeway. They told me my cat is shot and it's gonna cost me $1400 to fix. Does that sound right? if that's the case i might as well upgrade to the Random Tech Y-pipe and Cat. Need help here. what do you guys think? and does anyone know WA state laws on cat replacement?

thanks

Eric S

If you are having a loss of power and have been hearing a sound like rocks in a tin can, then the diagnosis is correct. That sounds about right for price as there are four cats to replace. I cost us $1200 two yrs. ago to replace them here in CA. I will bet that the Y-Pipe is not legal, but go with the hi-flow cats.

Eric,

The laws usually state that you are only allowed to remove the converter and replace it if it is bad. Replacing a bad converter with a Random Tech one sounds like a god idea.

Where you live, do you have the Nazi's watching your vehicles?

Tom

1,200??? thats crazy. if you have a regular ratchet set and one 5 dollar extender you can easily replace them yourself in an hour or less.... that is 5 bucks. and if you bought the y-pipe + hi flo cat... an additional $700.00.

Just throwing it out there. I mean how much labor can they tax on??? that's kinda nuts.

I have 135K on it, so i know it was bound to happen. I just didn't think it was gonna cost that much. I'm really considering doing the y-pipe and hi-flo cat, but I'm not sure of the laws here in Washington or if it will pass emmisions.

Eric S

A dealer wanted 850 just for the cat. I think 1400 is way to much. Ask them if the price includes lunch, dinner, a rental, perhaps a couple of happy meal coupons, and weekly car wash free for the year.

Woppy,

We were an hours drive from where we live, and had to have it done as we were on our way to Disneyland at the time. We just left it, and rented a car for the rest of the trip. The new cats were Ford OEM replacements ($$) plus labor. And, the cats were welded not a easy change out.

So what do you guys think i should do?

- Hi-flo cat and Y-pipe?

- just the hi-flo cat?

- or, just replace with stock cat?

either way, i still have to replace my cat. Just needing some knowledgable insight.

thanks

Eric S

Can't believe someone on here that replaced theirs with a hi-flow cat doesn't have a used one laying around in their garage...

I would replace the y-pipe and the cat with a high flow model. You may need to brake the bolts off but that is quicker than removing them . . . . Make sure you get the gasket between the two. I had these on my '01 . . .it rocked!!!! I replaced them in my driveway. It's not that hard. Just be carefull of the wires on the O2 sensors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric,,Are they claiming all 4 converters are bad? Why are they bad? Pluged up,if so your trac has been running rich. Did they weld bungs on the pipes between the converters and do differental pressure checks? Iam curious how they determined that was your slugish performance.

I'd get the performance y-pipe and cat if they both need to be replaced. I love em and they seem cheaper than what your dealership is trying to see ya.

Latest posts