cats, or no cats

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Ritter

Reaction score
i have a friend with a 4.0SOHC in his ranger, and he has the cats cut off on his exhaust, with a flowmaster single in, dual out style muffler. i really like the sound, but i didnt know if it was worth it to cut the cats off, seeing as it was illegal, and i was also wondering about fuel economy (does cutting them off decrease mileage). Also, i was wondering if a highflow cat would make about the same sound, while keeping it legal...any info would be great!

I have sound clips in my library of my exhaust with the stock cats and with my Random tech High flow stuff...

Todd Z

on a highschool student budget, $700 is a lot of money, expecially if its just for sound, do the y-pipe and highflow cat add any noticeable power gains?

As Todd said get the y-pipe, you lose the front cats but retain the sensors.

Keep the rear cats, is very little restriction and avoid the headaches you may have with the rear sensors throwing CELs.

The RT pipe really enhances the exhaust tone.

I got 8 RWHP after the Y-pipe, was it worth it? your call

Last edited by a moderator:
Graham,

I would do a simple cat back exhaust or just cut in a performance muffler....

There are other things you can spend the money on to get more bang for the buck then the y-pipe and cats...

I will gladly sell you any thing you want, But I keep see you saying student on a budget....

i would not do any "stage 2" exhaust work, look at the other options for performance first..

Todd Z

wow... i understand that highschool budget bro

im just now in college and still have that budget if not less...

i went with a local shop and just had them put on a custom straight for sound...

i had a flowmaster 40series but wasnt loud enough....

If you have annual emissions testing, you might want to leave both cats in place. Some states do not allow removal of either cats in a dual cat system regardless if it passes emission testing. They do not allow any modifications and it could end up costing a lot more in the end if you cut them off and then have to put them back on.

The Y pipe is the best solution and if they don't allow it, you just bolt your old cats back on, no harm, no fouls.

...Rich

i have a cat back exhaust system already, and i dont have annual emissions testing, but it is still against the law here to cut the cats off, so i cant have a muffler shop cut them off...

Texas superceds fed law on the pre cats. They are not requied for inpection. The trick is you can eliminate them if they go bad. I have elimated them on my last 3 cars. The inpection station I go to only looks for the main cats. Never had them to ask where the precats were. In texas if you replace the main cats with a complete aftermarket high flow cat with pipes. It is legal. As long as they sniff it and it passes. My '94 stang actually did better with the Bassini Cat x-pipe.LOL I was pushing 376 RWHP, naturaly asperated. Freind of mine With a paxton @ 440 RWHP passed also, same exhaust setup.

They even sniffed tested my trac once with the RT-Ypipe. There machine was messed up on reading the OBD2 CAN. It passed with flying colors with just main cats.