CEL code P0456

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Garcia

Reaction score
Is tuis the famous cracked elbow hose vacumm leak?

I took it to autozone today when the light came on this morning. They only pulled up this code. Any help or suggestions? Thank you guys in advance

<------------------ FAQ...........

P0456 - EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak) The PCM monitors the complete EVAP control system for the presence of a very small fuel vapor leak. The system failure occurs when a fuel vapor leak from an opening as small as 0.508 mm (0.020 inch) is detected by the EVAP running loss monitor test. Very small holes or cuts in fuel vapor hoses/tubes.

Loose fuel vapor hose/tube connections to EVAP system components.

EVAP system component seals leaking (refer to Possible Causes under DTC P0442).

Nope, not the elbow in your case...

P0456 - EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak)

Not where I can do a search for you at this time, but this is a common code. Do a search via the site, I am sure you will find some additional information...

Arturo- Did you disconnect any hoses to the evaporator cannister above the fuel tank?

Some will remove the box when changing the drivers side rear shock. Just a possibiliity. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not done any shock changing or messed around with anything else. I'm glad to hear it's not the elbow lol. I'm at 168k and thought it was about time. But I normally fill up with shell gas or Bp gas and my mom filled up my tank at exxon and this code appeared the next day. Autozone lady said my gas cap wasnt tightly closed. So she said high possibility it was due to that. I deleted the code drove to work and hasn't came back on yet. I leave work at eight so will see if this CEL comes back on at all. If not then thy was the issue. I know my sport trac is running like a champ. So many more miles to come! His July will be it's eleven year birthday. So maybe another ten years to reach my goal of 300k

Latest posts