CEL on in the Morning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oknopa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I just purchased my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2 days ago and the Seller did alot work on it. See tha attached picture. Is drives very smooth and shift's amazing....the only think is, in the Morning the Check Engine Light blinks for couple of miles and then disappears....not sure what's going one, will check with the Code reader this afternoon...

Attachments

• Ford5.jpg
    Ford5.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 39
Welcome to the Herd! Lots of friendly knowledgable folk in these forums.
Yep, need to read OBD2 TroubleCodes; be sure to note the specific code numbers.
Be sure to use an OBD2 Scanner that reads both StandardSAE + ProprietaryOEM data,
so to get any Transmission\ABS\... codes.
Is it the CEL lamp or OD lamp that is blinking?

now is stay's on, i read the codes, P0301 and P0171..That's strange, the puchased the Car just changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, cables and ignition coil...

Last edited:
p0301 = Cylinder1 MisFire
p0171 = Bank1 Too Lean

How many odometer\engine miles?
How long since OxSensors renewed, don't see that on your list; needs done every 100kMiles\10Years?
Make sure new Plugs+Wires+Coil have not been incorrectly connected?
Could be a Vac Leak, but seems specific to Bank1 (passenger right side),
so likely issue with Plug1 or Wire1 or OxSensor11 (upstream right side).
Click for more info on OxSensors.
Click for more info on Plugs+Wires+CoilPack.
Hope this helps.

2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Igni_0100_Plan.GIF
2001.Ford_Exha.Sens_o2~~_Locations_0000.GIF

Last edited:
There is a PCV elbow that cracks and causes this, A lot of work could always knock something loose, and new plugs can be cracked when installing and wires can not be seated right or the connection is pushed back in the wore boot.

i just checked the pipes, looks like ok, but i will definitly replace the one elbow..

i just find out the oil stick pipe is loose, did any one know where is is connected to the engine? i cannot see the end or did i need ti lift up the car...maybe that aused the problem?

A pic would help here. Loose diptube should not be the cause of those trouble codes.

good news, the codes are cleared and gone. I reconnected all important pipes and reconnected all the wires and now no CEL. Thanks to all for the replies, this helped a lot...

Latest posts