CEL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Keller

Reaction score
So today i was just doing some cleaning and checking in and around the engine bay. Took out a spark plug to make sure of no excess carbon buildup and it was fine. Put it back and placed the wire back on. Then i cleaned off the battery terminals due to excessive corrosion. Then i took off the 4.0 protector and cleaned the carb out. When my dad was spraying in the carb cleaner one time i was revving it, keeping it at about 2500 then all of the sudden it jumped to 4000 while in park. i dont know how it happened, my dad said that he didnt open the throttle or anything but it jumped up to 4000 then went back down to 2500. I might have given it a little tap i cant really remember but nothing to make it jump that high and even past the rev limit. Then when we put the hoses back on and everything the CEL light came on. I drove it down the road, no harshness, no vibrations, no noises, no misfires, and no mishifts. Everything was fine. My question is will it reset itself or what happened. Could the jump to 4000 have made the light come on? Or should i have it taken to Auto Zone and the code pulled and see whats up and have it reset. Like i said, nothing out of the ordinary. It drives fine and there isnt any leaks or noises.

Dingo,

What do you mean they arent supposed to run on CC? Its just like cleaning the injectors but without putting all that Gumout crap in your gas tank. I just thought it cleaned your system out or is it really that bad?

Kyle

Just because something is flammable, don't assume it's safe to run in your engine.

You can't run a truck on isopropyl alcohol, just like you can't run it on Bacardi 151.

I use throttle body cleaner. Just enough to wash the gunk from the throttle area. Then wipe it out. Dont spray it in with the motor running.