CELs P0420, & B1600???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Luttrell

Reaction score
Well I finally got to use my 4x4 after 3yrs of owning a trac. Made it about half a mile & my engine light came on. I got codes p0420 switch I was able to look up; I think I've had this one before. I also got B1600. I can't find that one. Anyone have a guess? It's running fine, but the last time I had the p0420 I had to replace the O2s. THat sucked. Anyway, thanks for any help.

Jim

B1600 PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal Is Not Received

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Sounds like your cat may be going bad, It could be the 02 sensor.... The Pass side 02 is easy to change through the wheel well.... The drivers side from under the truck..

The other code may be due to a remote start, or bad theft module, or just a fluke glitch..

Todd Z

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

B1600 PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal Is Not Received

The converter is pretty much read via an O2 sensor.

While in 4X4 were you driving it pretty hard or in a different manner than you normally do? It may be nothing more than a shot of fuel that did not get burned in the cylinder, thus the converter see's a too rich system and trips the code.

The transponder is ONLY needed to actually start the Trac. If you were able to remove the key once it is started, the PATS system would not affect a thing and it would keep running. Though it does look for the signal, the signal is not needed to run the vehicle.

Other than a freak timing, there really is no connection between these codes unless a common wire was damaged or a fuse for example.

I am betting you got a temporary glitch is all.

Reset the codes and see if they come back...

Thanks for the quick help. I reset the code already, but I'm at work so I won't know until tomorrow. I did drive much slower than normal. I have a remote start, but I didn't use it today. I did run about halk a tank of e85 through it, but I'm all gas now. I was wondering if the switch ciuld be a problem. That's when I had problems before. Could be "so much for flex fuel".

Jim

Sounds like your cat may be going bad, It could be the 02 sensor.... The Pass side 02 is easy to change through the wheel well.... The drivers side from under the truck..

From memory, you are describing the upstream O2 sensors. The upstream ones are for engine managment. The ones for the converters are downstream of the converter. That should be located under the vehicle.

Tom