Chain Tensioner

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha Guys,

When I start the engine in the morning, the tensioner will rattle but not every morning. If I start it every day, I would think that it would rattle every day! What do you think would cause the inconsistency? New oil, new K&N filter and half a can of Sea Foam.

Tks ED

Could be the drain back valve in the oil filter.....

Try switching the oil filter.

Todd Z

I thought that K&N was the one to get!!

I had a guy at Advance Auto try to talk me out of the K&N oil filter. He said the drain back valve in them fail alot. He recomended the Mobil 1. Price was the same. He said he runs Mobil 1 or Motorcraft on his lightning truck.

The problem was the sale was for K&N and Castrol syn oil. I have about 2k before my next oil change. I will find out then.

you can test the valve on a new filter by placing a towel over the center hole and breathing in and out....

One way checks and 1 way does not..

Todd Z

the timing chain tensioner? On my trac it would rattle every other day. and when I droped the oil pad I saw this...

[Broken External Image]:

pieces of the chain guide... I suppose when the chain became looser with High temp it had nothing to ride on

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha Don,

That is scary, were there any other symptoms other than rattle on start up?

Ed