Change interval for Royal Purple?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Akard

Reaction score
I have decided to give Royal Purple a shot in my ’07 ST (V6). What is the change interval suggested for Royal Purple? I have been a loyal user of mineral based Pennzoil for going on 32 years and never had a single engine issue however I’m looking for anything that will improve the fuel economy of my ’07. Will have a chanch this coming weekend to see if it does improve fuel economy. I’m driving from Dallas to Charlotte and back in a 3 ½ day period. 2,000 miles ought to give me a good read. Thanks - Art

In my opinion you should go with a 5000 mile OCI as long as it is on warranty. After that go 7500 and send a sample to Blackstone Labs or whoever and see what they tell you.

I go around 10,000 miles between changes using RP. I know people that go 20k between changes. All depends on how you drive. I do mostly stop and go, in-town driving so I don't want to go much over 10k. Don't expect any drastic improvement in mpg.

PS. Get a good filter. I use K&N.

I do 3k, give or take 10 miles. Yes, I probably could go longer, but for oil changes totaled per year, it comes to about $120, filters and all for me. In the scheme of a $30,000 vehicle, I think it's dumb to try and extend and possibly break the vehicle to save a few $$$.

Zach. You will loose up to 1 qt when you change the filter but no more. I have always used 10-30.

Thank you Tom, I've tried it once and I had oil all over the place so I was just wondering if there was a trick. Guess the trick is to have plenty of paper towels handy!

Zach, loosen the filter. Then get an old Walmart bag and put it around the filter. Take the filter the rest of the way off and keep it inside the bag. No mess.

Interesting. I used 5-30. Weird seeing purple oil go into the truck. I will go initially with 5K but may switch to 7,500. If I don't see any benefit using a synthetic is there any possible issue switching back to mineral base? Thanks - Art

My belief is that once you switch to synthetic that you should continue using synthetic. I was told to do this by a mechanic whose opinion I've always trusted. His explanation was that the seals swell when using synthetic and switching back to mineral might possibly promote leaks.

When I do the switch to Royal P or Amsoil I'll never go back to mineral.