Changed Oil Yesterday and . . .

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When the shop I took it to buttoned everything up they checked the oil the dip stick showed a quart low. Without looking at the Ownere Manual they told me that I needed 6 quarts not the 5 that was put in. I checked that Owners Manual when I got home and sure encough it said 5 quarts with filter. Any ideas as to what could be going on? BTW - I had to drive on frwy about 15-20 min. to get there so the engine was warm, and I put in 5 quarts of 5w30 Royal Purple synthetic with a NAPA Gold filter. Thanks for input / suggestions as to why the dip stick would read a quart low parked on a level surface.

edit: Also, I just recalled that they ckeck the level after they had me start it to check for leaks, and probably didn't think about waiting for the oil to drain back down to the pan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe your supposed to Waite 5 min or so for the oil to drain back to the pan before checking the level...

Maybe the quart bottles where not filled all the way, OR even the guy filling it did not get all the oil out of the bottles and left some inside them....

I have seen this a lot when I was changing oil.... IT would be 5 qts from the oil gun but 5.5 from the bottles...

Todd Z

6qts? Never have i put 6 qts in my trac. after i drop the oil pan plug and let the oil drip out and take the filter out, plug it all back in with new filter and put 5 quarts of 5w30 amsoil 7500, start the engine turn it off and check the dip stick it's always on full. never havea i had to wait 5 min. or anyother cars except when we put 20w50 in then we have to wait to check the dip stick, this is at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the shop I took it to buttoned everything up they checked the oil the dip stick showed a quart low. Without looking at the Ownere Manual they told me that I needed 6 quarts not the 5 that was put in

When I take mine in, they usually include 5 qts.... I end up getting billed for a 6th, but they only use about 1/3 or 1/2 of it. I usually use the TLE at Wal-Mart (I know, I know, but most of the guys there are Navy and I trust THEM) and it is Castrol GTX from bottles they put in. They always wrap the extra bottle in a plastic bag and put it on the floor when they are done, so I get the left over oil. If I remember, I put it back out in the same spot when I take it in so they can use the partial bottle, but sometimes I forget.