Changed the differential fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray McIntireJr

Reaction score
MAN! That old diff fluid that came out when I changed the fluid looked like sewer water. It was brown and thick and very nasty looking. Think I picked a good time to change it. Put in the friction modifier and royal purple(1 qt.) but according to the owners manual it takes more. Is that right? None came out of the fill hole yet so I'm gonna go buy another qt today.

The rear axle takes almost 3 qts.....

And if it was brown, Water got in there some how....

Todd Z

Yes, the rear takes about 2.5 quarts or until it runs out the fill hole, the front takes about 1.5 quarts and is nearly impossible to do yourself. I go to the Valvoline Qwicky-Lube and they suck out the front with their machine and refill it.

If all else fails, read your owners manual. If you don't have one, you can download one for free.

Just do a search and the wealth of knowledge that Ford has given us is right at our fingertips. All we have to do is lift a finger.

The owners manual tells you oil type and capacity, front and rear diff fluid and how much. It will even tell you what fuses control what and the amperage of them.

Tom