changing dash lamps

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Yost

Reaction score
Has anyone changed burned out lamps in the instrument cluster? My Trac is an '01. I'll seek tips from folks who have done this before I start tearing it apart! I'm figuring it has to be more involved than just removing the front bezel...

Scott

its not hard just time consuming... there are some pretty good explanations on here (even some from me). there are 6 bulbs behind the gauges (all 194 size). What I did was get behind the gauges, sand off the green film and replace the bulbs with 194 blue leds from ebay.

If you search "blue Gauges" you should come up with a decent how-to. (sorry, too tired today for the full explanation).

[Broken External Image]:

Big D, Did they change the bulb sizes between 01 and 05? I did as you suggested, only to find the bulbs to be much smaller than 194. And I now idle at 85 MPH. I was able to use the 194 in the map lights, dome light, and bed lights. Any suggestions on how to fix the speedo?

Thought all the bulbs were 194, from the '95 Ranger/Explorer to the '05 Ranger/ST. Thats what I thought, but I could be wrong.

If you idle at 85mph, did you take a needle off or accidently move it. To me, I would pop the needle off with either a fork or a pick that golfers use, and when the truck is started, re-attach the needle to the speedo. Should fix it, but the mph will still be off by a little bit unless calibrated. But thats my 2 cents.

if you can get your hands on a scangauge or something it will tell you your actual speed and then pry off the speedo needle and place it in the proper locarion. for the actual 6 bulbs behind the gauges on any 01-05 ST the bulbs are 194 size. There are smaller bulbs that light up the 4X4 and check gauge lights, but the ones that light up the gauges are 194... i recommend using the 5 way led ones (like I did). Or if you really want to, spend the 100.00, go to speedhut.com and design your own gauges (thats what I have now, still have to get pics).

www.speedhut.com (just choose the ranger gauges)

link for the leds i used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-168-194-Refractor-5-LED-Spark-Blue-Wedge-Bulb_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQihZ010QQitemZ200113401503QQrdZ1

I did it with BigD's help. You do have to take the needles off and it took me about 3 times of re-doing it to get them all back to where they needed to be.

I don't know what kind of gauges yall got, but mine slipped right over the needles and fit perfectly. I never had to remove them, so I never had to re-align them.

Yea, I forgot to mention that after I painted the bulbs, when I went to go put them back in, it turns out that the holders actually twist wround and out, so I never would have had to take the face and guages off. Live and Learn! I plan on going to the speed hut and get a new guage cluster. Im assuming that you get a whole new cluster, not just the face?

Hey BigD, how did you get your radio to go blue? I wasn't sure how to do that. Does the face come off, and then just soldering in the blue LED's? I have an 05 Adrenaline with the Adrenalin 6 disk player.:blink:

with speed hut, its just the gauge face. If you want the cluster try ebay or local junk yard.