Changing Front Diff Fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H D

Reaction score
Ok, so this sucks. Do I have to remove the front driveshaft, hub bearings, and cv shafts to remove the axle housing and change the front differential fluid? I don't like the idea of using a suction gun, but if I have to go through all that work to do something I'm not sure is absolutely necessary, I'm either going to suck it out or not do it at all. I don't like those options. Somebody please tell me there is an easier way. Do I really have to spend a full day in the garage to change a fluid?

The more I try to deal with this independent suspension, the more I want the simplicity of a solid axle.:angry:

On a good note, the weather is beautiful and its time to start working on the vehicles again!:banana:

I just need to get my Cougar down here from my parents'.

Yes..... BUT you could drill a small hole in the bottom of the aluminum casting and tap a 1/4 thread or 3/8 and install a plug..... i did this on mine when it was out to break in the gears...

but suction is the only way to do it without dropping the whole thing... i have dropped mine 2 times to put gears in it took about 2 -3 hours each time on my back...

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. How often should I be changing the fluid? I've read about lifetime fluids, but I just can't bring myself to trust that. This is all the results of getting stuck last week and having the front end under water for a couple hours.:banghead:

You can go to the Valvoline Quicky-Lube and they will do it with a suction machine for about $45 last I looked. The manual will tell you the lube is good for 100k or life, depending, unless you get it underwater, but I would do it every 50k as a preventative. I will have my front done soon when it hits 50k. I did the rear at 30k because Gen 2 rears have a drain plug and I wanted to play.

Definitely been underwater. Thought it would be more than $45 at a Quicky-Lube. Found the solution. Thanks!

Remember it is synthetic fluid !!!!!

Todd Z

Well yes front Diff oil change is easy if you do it like I did . Get the truck up high enough to get under it. This involves a quick measure of your gut area . Get under there and look at the diff. for about 5 minutes and say FPS! For pete sake. or you could say something worst like holy differential! How in the heck do I do this . Then you crawl out from under the truck put the oil back in the cabinet and say that wasn't too bad at all . Now bring the truck back down and forgetit.

Latest posts