Changing Fuel pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdeadeye1

Reaction score
2003 ST Automatic 2wd, 85k miles.

I checked the inertia switch,, its ok. I sprayed ether to start it, It starts briefly.. So i think i need new fuel pump.

Trying to drop the tank. I need to drain the full tank of gas first. Cant get a siphon hose down the filler neck.

So i go to the tank where the rubber hose connects to the tank, I cant get the damn thing off.

I can turn the hose around the tanks spout. So its loose. But i have no leverage to pull the rubber hose off the tank. That bulbous end/ Ferrule is keeping it from pulling off. If you have done this job before please let me know what you did to get yours off. Was yours tough to get off? How did you approach it,,, etc.

Thanks.
John
Marietta, OH

Hi John,

No experience with dropping the fuel tank, but I want you to be aware that it is possible to “momentarily” start an engine on starting fluid (ether) when there is NO SPARK. I forgot to reconnect a coil one time, and it took me a while to realize that, like one and a half cans of ether!

Because of the 2 bends in the fuel fill line, you can’t get your siphon hose down. Remove the spare tire and you can get to the hose clamp for the fill line, if I remember right, you need a 7/32 socket. Then you can stick your hose in the tank.

i got the hose clamp off for the fuel tank , its loose, meaning i can twist it on the spout. But i have no leverage to get the hose off,, to pull it. But ill look at taking off the spare tire and see if i can get some leverage room.
Thanks. and oh btw. My best friend from childhood lives there in Douglasville.

`You'll need a hose hook to loosen the hose properly. Also spray some lube between the hose and neck on the tank. There is a "ball" inside the fuel fill neck. If you were able to get a siphon hose in there it would be a TINY hose. Very difficult to siphon. Usually we don't drain the tank (unless it's a HUGE tank and full) we would drop the tank with fuel in it. If you are doing this job on your back, use a floor jack and a friend to support the tank while lowering. Once you have it on the ground you can remove the fuel pump and siphon fuel out to make it easier to re-install tank.
https://www.amazon.com/Swpeet-Inclu...words=hose+removal+tool&qid=1615909919&sr=8-6

You could use something like a cotter pin puller and just slip the tang between the hose and the nipple. The hose deteriorates over time and sticks like glue. Once you think you’ve separated enough of it you can twist it on the nipple and pull it off.

`You'll need a hose hook to loosen the hose properly. Also spray some lube between the hose and neck on the tank. There is a "ball" inside the fuel fill neck. If you were able to get a siphon hose in there it would be a TINY hose. Very difficult to siphon. Usually we don't drain the tank (unless it's a HUGE tank and full) we would drop the tank with fuel in it. If you are doing this job on your back, use a floor jack and a friend to support the tank while lowering. Once you have it on the ground you can remove the fuel pump and siphon fuel out to make it easier to re-install tank.
I thought about this as an option. Yes i will be doing it from my back.. I can use my floor jack and a plank of ply wood. The tank is supposedly full. (thats what the gauge is reading). My concern is 160 lbs of tank, balanced on the floor jack while im trying to get some things disconnected that i cant reach BEFORE i lower it. Maybe im being a big chicken.. I just dont want to get caught with my pants down and the whole tank falling off the jack and ripping fuel lines and electrical wires off.

I did buy a hose hook. i need more room/ better angle etc.. ill just have to try some different things.. move spare tire,, remove drivers side rear wheel, etc. SO far i just have no leverage to pull that damn hose off the nipple.

I didn’t use plywood for mine, it’s no different than the tank itself. I did use a floor Jack and let it down slowly until I could get my arm on top of the tank. On mine, the pressure line and return line had a connection that you pinch to remove. The hardest part was trying to see where to pinch it. Then lower it a little more and you can disconnect the fuel pump wire harness.

i understand.. But i still cant lower the tank more than 3 inches with the filler hose connected.

. The hose deteriorates over time and sticks like glue.
Not on my Trac, but in past years. I have had to let the tank drop and pull the hose off. Times I had to replace the deteriorated hose..
I had 22gallons of fuel balanced on plywood and floor jack. On an '88 T-Bird. That was spooky.

I thought about this as an option. Yes i will be doing it from my back.. I can use my floor jack and a plank of ply wood. The tank is supposedly full. (thats what the gauge is reading). My concern is 160 lbs of tank, balanced on the floor jack while im trying to get some things disconnected that i cant reach BEFORE i lower it. Maybe im being a big chicken.. I just dont want to get caught with my pants down and the whole tank falling off the jack and ripping fuel lines and electrical wires off.

I did buy a hose hook. i need more room/ better angle etc.. ill just have to try some different things.. move spare tire,, remove drivers side rear wheel, etc. SO far i just have no leverage to pull that damn hose off the nipple.
If you have help (quite a bit of help) you can remove the bed. It's not as difficult as it sounds. On the ground you would have to lower one half of the tank at a time. Support the tank w/a jack, remove one strap and loosen the other strap. SLOWLY lower 1/2 the tank while watching to be sure you don't damage fuel lines or electrical connectors. You won't have to lift/move the tank, gravity will be a big help. SLOWLY do one half at a time..

If you have help (quite a bit of help) you can remove the bed. It's not as difficult as it sounds. On the ground you would have to lower one half of the tank at a time. Support the tank w/a jack, remove one strap and loosen the other strap. SLOWLY lower 1/2 the tank while watching to be sure you don't damage fuel lines or electrical connectors. You won't have to lift/move the tank, gravity will be a big help. SLOWLY do one half at a time..
Even if you remove the bed you still cannot change the fuel pump. You can see the fuel pump if you look down between the bed and the cab. There is only one strap that holds the tank, the forward end of the tank has a flange that bolts to a crossmember.

Even if you remove the bed you still cannot change the fuel pump. You can see the fuel pump if you look down between the bed and the cab. There is only one strap that holds the tank, the forward end of the tank has a flange that bolts to a crossmember.
I have removed the tank many times even full not a hard job. First disconnect battery and release fuel pressure. 1- Jack the rear up securely support with jack stands. 2- remove left rear wheel and fender liner. 3- loosen hose clamps on filler and breather tube at tank end orient the clamp bonding patch with the top of the tank. Spray between hose and tube with window spray ( silicone). twist hose a little. You can syphon fuel now if you wish through filler tube connection but I find it easier after I lower the rear of the tank 4- remove 3 screws at filler cap to allow movement of filler tube (I just take it out after hose is removed for more room) 5-remove tank shield (4 bolts) now loosen to tank bolts at front of tank, don't take them all the way out yet leave them loose. 6- support tank at rear by strap with jack and plywood 12x12 (just lightly) remove strap bolt remove strap. Lower rear of tank a little and syphon fuel out. 7- lower tank a little more and disconnect fuel lines and wiring from rear tire area. 8- remove 2 bolts at front, slid tank back to clear cross member while you support front of tank. Lower jack ease tank on to a mat or old rug or tank shield slide out from under the truck. While you have the tank out clean out all crap from the frame members and body supports. If you can borrow or rent a low transmission jack it will be easier. good luck

1616098139521.png

UPDATE:

I got it off. I put a rag around the spout, and poured boiling water to soak it,, Hoping to soften it. I think it did. But what really did it was the hose hook.

I removed the spare tire and the inner fender . The inner fender didnt seem to help, as i couldnt do much above the frame rail due to the bed in the way.
so gotta put that back.

Removing the spare tire underneath allowed me the room to position the hose hook and use it to pry against the spout itself to pry it off.

BUT!
I put my gas can out to pump out/ transfer the fuel into it. I go to put my hose into the tank and there is a plastic baffle type pointy thing, that wont allow my line down into the tank >: (

but at least that hose is off so i can go about lowering and disconnecting the other parts.