changing my axle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 Bob

Reaction score
Hi to all, I need to replace the front right 1/2 axle on my 2005 SportTrac. Just wondering if this a job to do myself at home or if I should be sending it out to my trusted mechanic. Symptoms are my right front wheel has a slight wobble / inner and outer movement. It could just be the inner bearing of the brake disk, but once I start tearing it apart there is no
turning back.........your opinions would be appreciated.

pretty easy, if ya got a torque wrench that goes to to 300, mine only went to 200 ish but rented one at local parts store, the tracs had a issue with front right hub bearing going out like instantly not much warning, have bought 2 at copart from damage and mine went out, i got lucky and no damage other then axle, do yourself a favor and do both at same time but sounds like a hub issue, spray your bolts night before with oil penetrate or wd40 makes it easier, do not get a cheap replacement hub, there not to pricey but do not make my mistake or you will do again, ya will not know its cheap until all torqued up and there's play,

i am not sure location but if close to panhandle of west virginia i have a new one in box your welcome to have i believe its a moog maybe even 2 but just moved and only seen 1 for sure the other day.

Thanks Curtis for the parts offer. I'm in Canada and also own a Ford F350 so I do in fact have a 300ft lb torque wrench in my box of tools. Along that same note, I did change the left bearing assembly 2 years ago on my sporttrac but had it done by my local mechanic. Today I replaced the right side myself, fairly easy job and all appears good on the road test. At first I thought I needed a new upper ball joint but once I took off the tire it was obvious the axle bearing was the problem, no signs of damage to the axle spline itself. Anyway all is good now and I'll do some re torquing in a few hundred miles. Thanks again for your reply.
Bob

that is awesome to hear, and it is nice to fix in summer versus the winter time unless your in arizona.

Latest posts