Changing oil in differential and transfer case

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
At the 90K service at my local dealer, they told me that the oil needs to be changed in the front and rear differential (they will charge about $300.00) and also in the transfer case (about $110.00). They said this should have been done at 75K (why didn't they tell me when they did the 75K service?), so it really needs to be done now.

Has anyone done this as a project? Can the average person do it? I hate to shell out $400+ for something that I could do myself. BTW - If those prices seem high to you, you must not live in the metro NY area. Typical labor is about $100/hour at a dealership.

Thanks for any input!

WOW!!!! Do it yourself it very,very,very,very easy.

The t-case will take about 20 minutes, and the front diff may be a little more difficult as you have to suck out the old fluid, but still no big deal. The rear dif is super duper easy. However if you have a L/S diff then you need the expensive gear oil with friction modifiers.

The hardest part of the rear diff is getting it cleaned good enough when you take the cover off and not getting the RTV sealant all over everything when you put the cover back on. I didn't have to worry about the front and t-case, mine is 2wd.

Ask them to show you the maintenance schedule in the vehicle's owners manual where it says that you oil needs to be changed at 75k or 90k.

I did a Member Project on the transfer case lube. All you need is a $10 suction gun to fill it with plain Mercon ATF. I used Mobil 1 ATF. As far as the diffs, the local Valvoline Quicky-Lube will do them with a suction machine for $39.95, your prices may be higher, but at that price it's not worth the bother of doing them myself. The rear you can do yourself, the front is impossible to do without a suction machine.

Cindy,

IF you come to Long Island I would be glad to show you how to do the work and save you a ton of money !!!

Todd Z

i brought a 12 volt oil siphoning pump for around $25.00 off ebay and changed the fluids in the rear, transfer and front end with it. it takes a while to get all the oil out but i also used the siphoning pump to fill up the rear and front axles. real cheap way to do it. tom.

You can buy a $6 pump that is driven with a drill motor, from Harbor Frieght.

I would let jiffy lube do for less money before I would the dealer. I dont like jiffy lube.