Changing the Headlight Bulbs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
I'm finally upgrading my 2003 ST's headlight bulbs, but am having a terrible time getting those retaining clips to slide upward so I can remove the lights. I've never changed them before and those things do NOT want to move. Does anyone know if it's OK to spray something like "Break Free" on them to get them to loosen up? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If the slides are stubborn, spray them with a light weight lubricant such as WD-40, or silicone spray.

Do not get oil on the replacement lamps, themselves. (Including oil from your bare hands)

Let soak a few minutes and they should free up. Pull steadily and straight up, as mentioned.

My problem was the tight clearance on the sides of the lamps, and not scratching the paint, pulling them out. (Forward)

Go easy, and take your time. They will free up. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on what SWS said. Also you can snap vise grips on the slides. Then use something under them as a lever. I had to do the vise grips on my driver side.

Latest posts