Changing the PCV valve is a JOKE !!! I take back what ever I said... :-) :-)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Well I decided to change my PCV and fuel filter today.... I did not do a project on the fuel filter because the one that was written works perfectly for the 03 and up also !! Thanks Tabjo....

ALL I can say is it took longer to write the project on it then it did to change it...

10 min start to finish..

NO special tools needed, NO knuckles cut, Easy as 1,2,3.......

Just have to make sure you get the one that comes with the coolant line attached on it from ford and that the engine is cool or there is no pressure in the cooling system..

My st has 45K on it and I will say at 60K it should be changed !!!! mine was not rattling no where near the new one was and even the air flow through the old one was restricted...

Project is submitted to Rich !!!

Here is 1 pic of it.

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thinking Todd!!! I will need to do that soon and from what I read on here wasn't looking forward to it. Good to know I won't be missing any DNA after I do it.

I used the project write-up for my fuel filter also a year ago. Gotta love the '03's. Best year model made!!:lol: (just kidding all);)

You said here is one pic of it.So you have pics of you pulling it or did you just take a pic of it hangin there. Laughs. no really Todd I am glad that it was that easy to change.I am not looking forward to doing mine, I am not sure if it has been changed. I guess I will find out tho soon._Ron

Todd, Where can you get that valve, how much is it, and what do you do to change it? Any pics of transplant? Thanks, G

great todd im glad you got experience today so when we change both my fuel filter and pcv valve on sunday we shouldnt have a problem. good lookin out on the practice:D:D:D

paul h

Ron,

I will have the project to rich soon, I do have more pictures, but just posted that one to show people where and what it was...

DD, the one I got was a Ford part because it comes with the replacement coolant line as well. The aftermarket ones do not come with the line and I feel safer replacing the whole thing. I believe it was 12 bucks..... and Again, I will have the project to rich soon so it can be posted...

Todd Z

Ed,

It is used to warm the air flowing from the crankcase through the pcv valve into the intake. It helps warm up the mixture to warm up the engine and emissions system quicker. I personally cant see it doing a dam thing unless it is constantly below 32 degrees.

In warm weather I could see it hurting MPG and performance..

Todd Z

It is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve.

It takes gasses from the crank case and burns them in the engine... IT also helps keep the pressure down that can cause leaks and all sorts of other issues...

Todd Z

Is that Drivers side, rear of the engine compartment?

It has to be, since I can see the fire-wall insulation in the pic.

Does it seal in the left/drivers valve cover, since there doesn't seem to be enough play

in the hose to go anywhere else!?!?