Check Engine Light ON...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryW Gilliland

Reaction score
My check engine light came on the other day for the first time since I've owned my Trac.

I went to Auto Zone last night so they could check for a code.

This is what came up:

P0401 - EGR Flow Insufficient Detected The EGR system is monitored during steady state driving conditions while the EGR is commanded on. The test fails when the signal from the DPF EGR sensor indicates that EGR flow is less than the desired minimum. Vacuum supply

EGR valve stuck closed

EGR valve leaks vacuum

EGR flow path restricted

EGRVR circuit shorted to PWR

VREF open to D.P.F. EGR sensor

D.P.F. EGR sensor downstream hose off or plugged

EGRVR circuit open to PCM

VPWR open to EGRVR solenoid

D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses both off

D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses reversed

Damaged EGR orifice tube

Damaged EGRVR solenoid

Damaged PCM

I was going to buy a new valve for $75, but when I told him the truck only had 33K on it, he suggested I try cleaning the old valve first.

I looked in projects and didn't find anything but how to paint it. I know this has been discussed before, but where do start? Will cleaning it address all possible issues? I was going to disconnect the tubing, use a pipe cleaner to remove debris, if any, then flush it out with throttle body/choke cleaner.

Cool? Thanks, guys!

Wow Jerry, I was going to tell you to take it to the Dealer if only 33K on it, but then I saw it was a 2002 model. Really low miles on that one. (My 01 4X4 has 111K on it.) Did you buy it new?

I agree with Tom, The DPFE sensor is likely cause.

Dave

when you look the DPFE sensor up it shows EGR valve as one and the same. I have this same issue and ordered one yesterday.

I just looked it up too.

I guess I need a picture of what I'm supposed to replace.

Everyone has said it WASN'T the EGR valve and I shouldn't clean it.

DPFE sensor? EGR valve?

I think this may be a job for my mechanic to deal with! :(

I think this may be a job for my mechanic to deal with! :(
There have been so many pictures posted in the last 7 days about it, it isn't funny. It is super easy to swap out. Heck, my wife could do it because it is so easy.

I found that if you do not know where something is, you buy the part and look for something that looks exactly like it.

It is on the drivers side of the engine right where the engine ID sticker is located. There are two vacuum lines connected to it with one electrical plug going into it. Simple to change.

With gas prices so high, maybe your mechanic needs some easy money to make. I am sure that is going to cost you an hour labor for 10 minutes of work...and possibly repairs that are not needed.

Tom

But what you don't understand is when I search the parts places for DPFE sensor, they show me a picture of an EGR valve. I've looked into the EGR valve ($75 dollars at Auto Zone), and it would be very easy to replace, two bolts, two tubes, but I don't want to replace it if that's not the problem.

It doesn't seem to running any different than it always has, so I'm thinking I might just let it go until it throws another code.

But, in all liklihood, I'll go to Auto Zone today, buy the EGR valve, install it and hope that damn light goes out! :rolleyes:

Okay, I looked at the pic of the sensor. Thanks, Eddie. :wub:

I remember seeing that pic the other day, but someone said it was a Gen 2 engine and I dismissed it.

Sorry I'm so lame, but now I've seen the light!

I'll pick one up tomorrow.

Hopefully I won't have any more questions for a while. :lol:

I found this interesting tidbit about warranty coverage on DPFE sensor:

Ford had a recall on some DPFE sensors at least on the Taurus modular V6 engines. The check engine light comes on. I changed mine myself but it's hard to get at it near the firewall.

$40 from the dealer, but check http://www.autozone.com

I'd take it in to the dealer and get them to fix it for free. It's under the fifty thousand mile emissions warranty.

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/Maint...

http://www.google.com/search?q=ford+DPFE...

Latest posts