Check Engine Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riyoku Delvey

Reaction score
When I bought my Sport Trac, it had just been taken to the shop and been checked out, but I think the mechanic forgot to turn the check engine light off. Can anyone tell me how to turn it off?

If it is on it means there is something wrong. You can get the code read for free at autozone, then come back and post your code on this site and someone will help you figure it out.

If there is nothing wrong there shouldn't be a check engine light. If you want to reset the check engine light unhook your battery for about 15 minutes. If you hook it back up and the light comes on again something IS wrong, if not you are good to go.

Check engine light on = Problem

Shop letting it leave with light on = Find better shop

Todd Z

It's possible they fixed it and did not reset it. After, 50 I think it was, ignition cycles, it will go off if there is no problem. Get it reset for free at Autozone or Advance Auto, and if it comes back on, then there's a problem.

I agree with Jeff. You can have a problem fixed and the light not be reset. Get the code at autozone, have it reset and then ask your mechanic if he addressed what would have caused that code.

Can just go back to the shop you just paid to fix your truck and let them reset it if there is no problem and they just forgot to reset it...

You can disconnect the battery (neg side only) and Waite 15 min or so, hit the brake a couple of times and then re connect the battery, that will also reset it..

Todd Z

You can also purchase an inexpensive code reader off eBay ($40-$50) to read the codes yourself. And if you want to (not that I am advising it...) delete the code as well. This isn't saying that the CEL won't come back on. But bottom line, you should get the code read and find out what the problem may be.

An ounce of prevention...

Get the code first, the exact number. Not what the book says, but the actual code.

We will tell you what the problem is and how to fix it.

DO NOT LET AUTOZONE TELL YOU HOW TO FIX IT.

Example. There is a code that points to the EGR valve. On many ocasions, Autozone says you need to replace the EGR valve. EGR valve gets replaced and the code gets erased. Code comes back and the owner is pissed because he spent money to fix something that wasn't broke. The real problem was the DPFE sensor.

Tom

I went back to Autozone and now they say that I have a blown fuse because they can't get power to read any codes. I've checked all my fuses and nothing was blown. ???