Check Engine Lite On..Chapter Two!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryW Gilliland

Reaction score
Okay guys...

I bought a new DPFE sensor last night at Auto Zone ($26).

Unhooked battery, replaced sensor, left battery unhooked for 1 hour.

When I started the engine, that awful yellow warning light was off! :D

This morning I only drove about a half mile and it came back on! :angry:

What should I do now?

Thanking you for any help in advance.

Quoting from my first thread:

My check engine light came on the other day for the first time since I've owned my Trac.

I went to Auto Zone last night so they could check for a code.

This is what came up:

P0401 - EGR Flow Insufficient Detected The EGR system is monitored during steady state driving conditions while the EGR is commanded on. The test fails when the signal from the DPF EGR sensor indicates that EGR flow is less than the desired minimum. Vacuum supply

EGR valve stuck closed

EGR valve leaks vacuum

EGR flow path restricted

EGRVR circuit shorted to PWR

VREF open to D.P.F. EGR sensor

D.P.F. EGR sensor downstream hose off or plugged

EGRVR circuit open to PCM

VPWR open to EGRVR solenoid

D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses both off

D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses reversed

Damaged EGR orifice tube

Damaged EGRVR solenoid

Damaged PCM

Since this happened on the way to work, I haven't had it checked.

I plan to do it tonight when I get off work.

I just wanted a plan of attack, should it show the same code.

Maybe I can just take the EGR off and do a thorough cleaning and reinstall.

With only 33K on it, I'm told it's doubtful that it's dirty or needs to be replaced.

One never knows though.

Since nobody had any suggestions, I made an appointment with my mechanic this morning for next week. Maybe he can figure it out.

so, did you get the same code reading after the second time the light came on or a different code?

How about testing the egr valve before you replace?? Get yourself a vacum pump(can be had alot cheaper than an egr valve at your local parts store) hook it up to the egr valve and pump it up to about 18 inches of vacum while the engine is running. The engine should either stall or run very poorly. If the engine doesn't stall or run poorly and the vacum gauge holds vacum then you have clogged egr passages(very uncommon for a 4.0). If the vacum gauge doesn't hold vacum then you have a bad diaphram in the egr valve and the valve needs to be replaced. If the engine stalls then it is time to start checking the vacum lines back to the egr vacum valve solenoid and also the vacum supply line to the vacum solenoid.

Good suggestions and will store them away.

I went to Auto Zone after work and talked to them about buying an EGR valve.

He asked me if I had checked the code and when I told him yes, after I replaced the sensor.

I told him that I thought I had cleared the code by disconnecting the battery for an hour.

Then I asked him if he would take his little machine out and clear the code with it.

He cleared the code and the light went out. I drove about 20 miles and the dreaded light didn't come back on!! Hooray!

This has been a learning experience for me, for sure.

But thanks to all for the help. ;)

I hope it stays off for you but if you didn't do anything between the time you turned it off the last time and now then chances are that it is going to come back on when the conditions are right for the pcm to perform the test on it to see if it is functioning properly.

You're exactly right.

When I got in it this morning for the drive to work, guess what?

Yep. That SOB light was staring me in the face. :angry:

I have an appointment with my mechanic next Wednesday morning. :(

Latest posts