Check Filler Cap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Conley

Reaction score
So my ST has been acting very odd lately. Last week it was starting and the rpms were jacking up to 2500 on start up...then, on Saturday when it was 114 in LA, I parked for 5 minutes and then it wouldn't start, it would crank, but it was like it wasn't getting gas. So I cracked the hood, checked the battery (disconnected and checked water level) and then let it sit. After about 15 minutes, it started right up.

Then, the idle was ok, but my Check Filler Cap light came on. The cap is on tight, I've checked several times. My mechanic did a smog check on it, which checks the filler neck, and it's fine.

Now today, the idle is starting to creep up, when I started it it went up to 2K rpms, before dropping down.

OH, the kicker here is my mechanic's scanner can't connect to the STs computer. for some reason my computer won't connect.

The only other x factor here is my ST was in the body shop for a week before this, but it was just to fix a fender bender on my rear bumper. They replaced the plastic cover, and the "insides" of the bumper, and realigned my bed.

Any thoughts here? I'll be taking the truck back in tomorrow to the mechanic..he wanted me to drive it a bit this week, see if the CEL came on and threw a code

:wacko::wacko:

Actually, I just did the IAC clean about 2 months ago, so that's ok,

and, they checked the fuse on the OBD port, it had blown, but they replaced it with a good one, and it still didn't work...

Did they try disconecting the neg cable and let the ECU reset. Check the fuse again. If it is blown there is a short somewhere.

Scott,

My ST acted up 2 weeks ago. When I started it the RPM would jump and when I shifted it into gear it would stall. After letting it sit for 5 minutes it started and ran fine and has not acted up again yet. I never did figure it out but it was a hot day here in vegas when it happened

Latest posts