"Check Gauges" 2005 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DT Knives

Reaction score
2005 Sport Trac runs fine but when in park, turn key off an take out, the ABS, Check Engine and "check gauges" light comes on and the radio doesn't turn off. This drains the battery.

Here's what I've checked:
1. Checked the battery and alternator. they are both good and charging.

2. Test light and pulled and checked all fuses. Inside and in engine bay. Fuse #25 pulled and all lights and gauges go off except the ABS which stays on. Still a draw on the battery.

3. Replaced ignition switch. No effect problem still there.

4. Checked for loose positive and ground wires. None found

5. When running everything works fine.

6. Scanned, there are NO codes.

This is how it looks when the key is out. There is a draw on the battery and power windows work. Radio does too

Uf8fV6L.jpg

looks like it is stuck in a acc mode,,ignition would be my first thought but you did that,,try pulling fuse out for it and see if it goes off. i would continue to try a few fuses to isolate area maybe it will give ya some ideas,, electric is one of those areas that suck..

sorry just reread your post and ya did fuses...

looks like it is stuck in a acc mode,,ignition would be my first thought but you did that,,try pulling fuse out for it and see if it goes off. i would continue to try a few fuses to isolate area maybe it will give ya some ideas,, electric is one of those areas that suck..
thanks for the reply. I'm just about to give up and take it to the dealer.

I suspect it's a relay that's worn out, contacts sticking closed when they should be open\de-energized.
Could try replacing\swapping relays.

I've been lucky with my 2005, although I've experienced two cluster "gremlins" in my 12+ years of ownership. First time was the gauges going crazy after shutoff, and second was no power to anything when first trying to start. Disconnected the negative battery terminal then reconnected, and all was well. Thought the issues may have been related to my SCT flasher affecting the PCM, but hasn't happened since. Knock on wood.

Yep, forgot this is typical for these dang'd early HEC 2004~2005 InstrumentClusters;
the relay is built in with Cluster electronics,
no easy troubleshoot swapping relays; likely need to get Cluster rebuilt.
I bought a cluster from a yard. It has the exact model and manufacture date as mine. Swapped them out and the problem still exists. Called a company about a cluster rebuilding he said he's never heard of this problem and didn't think rebuild would help.

That looks frustrating as hell. Until you figure out the problem, maybe try installing a quick-connect/disconnect switch on the battery so it won't drain while it's parked. Inconvenient, yes; but not as inconvenient as a dead battery. Good luck, and keep us updated.

Latest posts