Check your high-mount brake lights, folks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
It seems like half of the Rangers and Sport Tracs I follow on the road have burned out high-mount brake lights. Some of them are nicely modded and are meticulously well-kept. How someone care so much about the details of their truck, yet ignore the lighting is beyond me.

:cool:I second that, many of them are burnt out or just dont work. So check them and be safe.:D

Josh, you should post some pics of ST. By reading the details and upgrades of your ST, I imagine it looks great, but post some pics for us to enjoy.

:cool:

It's, funny how from far away, the ST does look pretty good ( :cool: ) , but up close, it might not be possible to go a couple inches without a scratch of some sort. I guess that is what 8 years will do to the ST.

I'll try to get some pics for ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks:D, thats how mine is too, I'll need to buff it this spring, but my scratches arent as visible on the silver paint:cool:

That stupid high mount light seems to go out almost as soon as you put it in! I've changed that one bulb out many times in the past six years. Almost all of the other bulbs are original from the factory.

It can be hard to tell if it's out. You have to find a place that reflects the back of the truck so you can see it when you step on the brake.

I have had to replace my bulb twice in 150K miles. I know when it has gone out when I stop hearing the faint clicking from the blinker relay I added to the circuit.

I have had to replace mine about every year I've owned it. I know it is out when I don't see it showing red on my tonneau cover at night on my drive home from work. I'm finally out of bulbs for it (bought the economy pack) so now I'm going to find LED's when this one goes.;)

Mine went out last month. Original bulb lasted 5 years. I can't tell you home many rangers/sport tracs I see with burned out 3rd brake light bulbs.

Whats the part number on the Recon LED high mount?

Go to Zabteck.com and order the Recon from them. They will add adapters so that you can just plug it in to the bulb sockets into the ST.

Also, I've heard that if you order it directly from Recon, it will take years! :D

Thanks for the head's up Mark. I've neglected to check that 3rd brakelight since I took the Trac home 60K miles ago. The other night I remembered your post, so as I was backing out of my parking spot, I observed my brake light reflection from a building's windows and didn't notice the 3rd red light. This afternoon I had someone step on the brakes for me as I watched the 3rd brake light. Sure enough, it wasn't working. Turns out the bulb had burnt out. I just replaced it but haven't had a chance to do a visual check. I bought a pair of 922 Sylvania bulbs, I hope these were the right ones.

With earlier years, the high mounted light was part of the power feed for the ABS brakes. If the light was burnt out, the ABS light would come on.

As long as people did what they were suppose to, it was easy to figure out. Anyone with a scanner would plug in, read the ABS code and determine it lost its power feed.

The first place to look was the high mount light.

I assume they changed it as many probably did nothing when the ABS light came on, so now they have both a burnt out light and a non-working ABS system...

The Sylvania 922LL (Long Life) replacement lamp supposedly lasts twice as long as the OEM.

Readily available at most AP stores for about $4 a pair.

Latest posts