Check your Idler and tension pulleys NOW

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Reynolds

Reaction score
While changing my serpentine belt last week I noticed that the idler had a slight wobble in it. There also appeared to be a very slight chatter coming from the tensioner pulley. Well today I picked up replacements for them both and let me tell ya what I found.

The idler bearing was just starting to go,(not too bad but definately going south) after replacement it had no wobble what so ever and no forward to backward motion. Cost $22 and about 10 minutes work.

The tensioner pulley bearing was completely dry and there was considerable bearing wear as can be expected. I replaced the tensioner but you can get replacement pulleys (with bearing installed) from Gates. Tensioner was $44 and took about 25 minutes. I don't know how much just the pulley is but the Gates part number is #38008.

My ST only has 43K on it!! It's a very easy and inexpensive fix that can save you a bundle down the road. I'll be replacing mine tensioner pulley at 30k intervals from now on and I'll keep a closer watch on the idler.

Tim .......out.

Replaced both of mine around 22K or so....

But my motor doesn't see too much low rpm driving either..:p

Todd Z

Tim they should last the life of the car (yeah right) , But with any sealed bearing setup I think 80-100K is about right....

Todd Z

Tom redline??... whats that???...

BWAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Todd Z

Latest posts