checking and replacing interior lights.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Reaction score
I just bought this 2004 Sport Trac and I love it. But, there seems to be some missing lights in the interior. When I open the door, nothing lights up. There is a small console at the top with two switches which implies that there should be lights in the console, but flipping the switches do nothing. There is what appears to be a plastic light cover, but I do not want to spoil something by prying it off if there is nothing behind it. The owners manual has very little info and refers me to a dealer for replacement. It has the moon roof, so there is no sunglasses compartment, just a compass, thermometer, and two switches. Anyone ever pry this plastic cover off before?

I stopped by my library and looked thru some big mechanic manuals to find the answer, my outside temp gauge display was out, resistor needed resolder.
Cant remember if there is one screw or not. main thing was to pull the thick trim piece back that holds the headliner up around the sunroof cutout, trim piece doesnt always stay in place in hot weather now, sorry thats all I remember.
I assume someone might have an easier way to check for lights, did you google removing overhead light lenses in an Explorer?
Dave 2003 Sport Trac

I stopped by my library and looked thru some big mechanic manuals to find the answer, my outside temp gauge display was out, resistor needed resolder.
Cant remember if there is one screw or not. main thing was to pull the thick trim piece back that holds the headliner up around the sunroof cutout, trim piece doesnt always stay in place in hot weather now, sorry thats all I remember.
I assume someone might have an easier way to check for lights, did you google removing overhead light lenses in an Explorer?
Dave 2003 Sport Trac
I appreciate the comment. Very informative youtube videos, one about replacing the bulbs, and one about the explorer interior light door switch, and I presume that the sport trac may be similar, but of course, the placement of the dome light is different with the sport trac being in the rear and the explorer in the middle. In the Explorer video, the dome light came on when the door was opened. But, in the Sport Trac, the dome light is in the rear. So, my question is, which light, the dome light, or the front map light should come on when the door is opened? Apparently, the door switch and wiring is also a major concern with these explorers, but it don't make a lot of sense that all four switches would go out at the same time, since the drivers side is opened 10 times more often then the rear doors. Is your's a sport trac? and if so, which light comes on when you open the door?. Thanks for any info. There are so much electronic wiring in these trucks that it makes a decent shade-tree mechanic seem pretty inept..

that center lenze covers light bulbs, and the back on is on a switch that has the door/on/off option..... It should come on when any door is opened. if the courtesy lights don't light when pushed on then the bulbs are blown or the sockets are melted... pop the cover off and inspect.... It could be as simple as bulbs.... ALSO do all the cigarette lighters work?? a fuse can cause them not to work also.

Actually...if the lights DONT come on when a door is opened..the DIMMER CONTROL( left-side dash near steering wheel) may be turned off. DIAL it to the right and check the lights.