Christmas in July!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Pennal

Reaction score
Look what Santa brought. The rotors and pads are going on today. The Powertrax goes on the first chance I get. :)

[Broken External Image]:

Eric I see you got the black box Hawks, Why not green ???

Also let me know how you like the feel of the pad after you Bed them.... I still don't like mine, I may switch my pads out...

Todd Z

Todd,

I got the Ferro-Carbon pads based on the vendor's description: "This unique Ferro-Carbon compound combines the safety and quality of aerospace design partnered with the braking technology of motorsports. The HAWK brake pads are extremely low dust, high friction/torque hot or cold, gentle on rotors, virtually noise free, much improved braking over OE, with a long lasting pad." I know, virtually every pad manufacturer says their pads are noise free and low dust. I'm a little skeptical, but I'll let you guys know how they perform after I've driven on them for a while.

Chad,

Yes, I have 2wd. This isn't an off-road locker. This is Powertrax's street version of their locker. I simply wanted both of my rear wheels to share the power during less-than-perfect driving conditions. I may end up not liking it - but I wanted one! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
They will perform great. However, Low dust...LOL Hawk's marketing team does it again. I sell lots of Hawk they all create dust. Low dust means low compared to their performance HPS and HP+ pads...LOL

Make sure you bed the right or they will chew up rotors.

My green box Hawk pads with my Drilled and slotted rotors don't make a lot of dust, and I will say they are SUPER quiet.....

They just don't stop like I would like them too...

Todd Z

I thought the green were supposed to be better then the black box ????

Todd Z

Eric ~ I have the black box Hawk pads on the front of my '04 Adrenalin with stock rotors and they are great compared to the OEM compared to dust and stopping. I haven't washed my truck in over a month, and my wheels have hardly any dust on them. I still have chrome rims as good as I can see. If I had those OEM brakes still on there, I'm sure they'd looked like I painted the wheels black. I also have the black box rears, but haven't made that install yet.

Good job on the idea of upgrading it all at the same time and have fun with the install.

Thanks for the input shvdnlayd. That gives me hope. :)

Hey guys! I've got a question regarding the install of the rotors - which I'm in the middle of doing right now.

This is such a stupid problem, but I need some advice on the best way to solve it. I thought I had all the tools I needed for this job. I've got the torque wrenches to put the spindle nut back on - and I've got the torque settings - but here's my problem: the only socket I've got that's big enough to turn the spindle nut fits a 1/2" drive ratchet, but my torque wrenches have 3/8" drives. I don't have any adapters that step up from 3/8" to 1/2" - only the other way around.

How critical is it to seat the wheel bearings to exactly 21 lb/ft? Can I wing it, and be OK? Just tighten it down nice and snug, then back off, then re-tighten to approximately 17 lb/in? If it's critical, I've got to stop and go buy an adapter or a socket.

I'll also start another thread with this question, in case no one looks in on this one anytime soon.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan, pads need to be broken in properly and seated to the new rotors, OR old rotors, There is a procedure for that...

Eric, I posted above for your question..

Todd Z