Cigarette light port mod

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blert

1st Gen Owner
2 wheel drive
2001 job 2
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
The stupid cigarette lighter ports are always energized, even when the truck is off. Are there any easily accessible wires around there so I can mod one of them to only come on when the truck is running? Maybe come off the radio harness since I'm about to be in there and change the head unit anyway? Reason... my truck sits for a long time and can go weeks without driving it on rare occasions. I'm getting tired of having to remember to unplug my power transformer every time I get out of the truck.

I agree Blert, my phone hands-free device is another example. 'hope that someone has some easy suggestions.

A relatively simple 4pin SinglePoleSingleThrow\1P1T Relay; get one with 20amp or higher rated Contact.
Open up the DashCenterPanel; mount this relay behind LighterPlug & Radio.
One side of 12vCoil spliced into nearby Radio hot wire, other side of Coil to LighterPlug ground pin.
Move LighterPlug hot wire to one side of Relays NormallyOpenContact;
make up a new jumper wire from other side of Contact to LighterPlug hot pin.
Use 12gauge wire.

Last edited:
Nice. Thank you.

I guess I'm the odd one out here in that I really like the fact that the two lighter ports in the center console of my Gen2 stays on all the time. That way I can keep my devices on when I step out of the truck for short times.

I don't leave the GPS, cell phone or 2-way radio plugged in when I leave the vehicle overnight. I take them inside or put them out of sight anyway to prevent theft when I'm on a road trip. The dual USB converter does stay plugged in but I doubt it uses much power when it is not in use. My truck rarely sits unused for more than a couple of days and the Optima battery is more than up to any minor current drain for that long.

I guess I'm the odd one out here in that I really like the fact that the two lighter ports in the center console of my Gen2 stays on all the time. That way I can keep my devices on when I step out of the truck for short times.

I don't leave the GPS, cell phone or 2-way radio plugged in when I leave the vehicle overnight. I take them inside or put them out of sight anyway to prevent theft when I'm on a road trip. The dual USB converter does stay plugged in but I doubt it uses much power when it is not in use. My truck rarely sits unused for more than a couple of days and the Optima battery is more than up to any minor current drain for that long.
The chances that such a small drain will kill the battery is very low but not zero. I have had it happen before when I left a power transformer plugged-in in my old Caravan, while at SeaWorld. Granted, maybe the battery was already on the way out. An always hot accessory port can come in handy but Ford put two right up front. Would have been nice to have one always on and one on with ignition.

I know this doesn't answer your question re: re-wiring the plug to kill it when you turn off the truck, but I picked up a Victsing converter to use for hands free phone calls and play music on a usb drive. It has to usb slots, 1 for the music usb and 1 to use as a charger. It was inexpensive and has two features I really like. First, I can control the volume of the music with the volume control on the unit instead of the radio volume control which has begun to be problematic, and second, I can turn the unit off so anything plugged in will be shut off.

My 04 ST XLT came with the 12V sockets wired to the ignition switch. Ten years ago they went out and I had it hot wired when it was in the dealer for other service. IMO even an LED indicator will take a toll on battery life over time unless you’re connecting a light charge while not in use.

... IMO even an LED indicator will take a toll on battery life over time unless you’re connecting a light charge while not in use.
This has been my experience. Yeah, an LED or two is an almost inconsequential drain and, if your battery is healthy, it would take weeks to make a dent. But, batteries do not stay healthy and you could get stuck far from home. I don't want to have to remember to power down this or that circuit manually. If I shut the vehicle off I want all non-essentials to shut off with it.

Good point Blert, also some time ago this site posted about a member having a fire in his truck 'cause the phone was plugged into the charger.

Good point Blert, also some time ago this site posted about a member having a fire in his truck 'cause the phone was plugged into the charger.
Samsung phon?

D NOT just tap off another circuit.. the lighter is around a 20A circuit if you overload it you can smoke the truck....
Run a new relay set up and be done with it, Then you can tap right at the lighter socket and be safe.