cigarette lighter plug on dash

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure its the plug and not the charger itself? Try a different charger, or ask the guys at your local auto parts store to borrow a tester or your local electronics store.

If it is the plug, then you can check the actual connection in the rear. That would require removal of your center dash section. I have had it come loose before, but thats becouse I had about 5 different things hardwired into it.

My son had the same problem with his cig lighter port in the dash with his car. His problem was that he twisted the adapter port to the point that the wires in the dash broke.

This was caused by repeated repositioning of a heavy ipod charging cradle with integrated FM transmitter that was plugged in. Since it was heavy and had a goose-neck, the aparatus would twist the port within the dash (rotate it), and he would put the thing in the dash again, and again. At some point the wires just broke from the sheering/twisting.

Pulled the plug out, fished out the wires, crimped on some in-line connectors, and soldered new wires to the harness (of course the wires sheered at the point where they connect to the wireing harnass), then epoxied the plug socket in place when all done (yeah...yeah..hope it never happens again).

In our case, clearly the plug socket wasn't meant to hold anything heavy that puts stress on the socket, especially not stress that twists the socket within the dash.

Check the wires....

TJR

Latest posts