cladding, bumpers and side steps painting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephane Bolduc

Reaction score
Anybody has painted their cladding, bumpers and/or side steps without removing them ?

And most importantly; would you do it again this way ?

I'm sure someone has but that's not the correct way you should do it. Painting them on you are going to miss alot of places that need to be sanded and painted. Your best bet would be to remove them and do it right the 1st time.

Most people including my self removed the cladding and side stuff. IT is real easy to do..

I removed the front also, BUT a lot of members just masked off the front and left it on the truck..

Todd Z

Steph, it is much better to remove the cladding to prep and paint it. I wouldn't even consider painting the cladding in place. I was real hesitant about painting the front bumper cover in place, but I was to lazy to remove it.

Follow the projects on it and it is super easy. The results are well worth it.

The link below will take you to the projects for removing the side cladding, removing the rear bumper cover as well as painting the cladding.

Is a clear coating needed on the pieces after painting? I am planning to do this mod come spring but my wife keeps telling me she don't think it will hold up to power washing etc over time. I keep disagreeing, of course, but have never seen any that were painted up close and personal, especially after significant time.

I am not sure.. I took mine to be quoted for a professional paint. I am doing the whole truck and wanted the cladding painted to match. Two different places have told me that they cannot guarentee their work on these sections because it does peel with in the first 12 months.

I was suggested to me to order new parts from Ford that are not the plastic and have them put on when I paint the truck.

Do they even make this for the 01 job 1?

Latest posts