CLeaning the engine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Baltagi

Reaction score
WHats the best thing for cleaning the engine? Any good spray cleaners that work great?!? SOmthing you spray on hose off...

I cover the air intake and alternator, Wet with a mist from the hose, and in a spray bottle i mix joy soap and water, spray that on and then wash off, Does a great job for me ...

Todd Z

I was about to ask the same question.

So other than the intake and alternator, is there anything else that needs to be covered up so it doesn't get wet?

Cory, there are a ton of things that should not get wet, but then you be cleaning the throttle body plastic cover and nothing else....LOL

The above are the basic ones, Just dont spray ful force on things and as soon as your done use a blower, leaf blower, compressor, or even a hair dryer to remove the puddles and then remove the coverings and then start the truck and let it run for a little bit, and your good to go..

Todd Z

I did this about a month ago and it looked brand spankin new! i just used a bottle of Simple Green Degreaser and a garden hose. Covered all the important things like alt, intake, spark plugs and also took out the battery and sprayed away waited about 5mins and spray with the hose and wiped down all the really dirty spots and then took a tooth brush to the hard to reach area's and than just took a leaf blower and dryed the sucker clean and ran the engine for 5mins than took a 5min drive and nothing has died yet so i guess i didnt fubar something :D

Also, let the engine cool completely before sprying it with cold water!!!!!:eek:

It is not so bad if the engine is running and generating heat, but if it is not running it should be completely cool to the touch before spraying...

Oh, I have found that most hoses need to be scrubbed, but then again mine usually get mud up on them not just road spray...:p

Just my $1.250 worth...:D

Hope this helps,

KatManT

I've always just covered the important stuff and used a foaming tire shine cleaner. Whatever I have at the time. Works wonders. Just wipe down any excess gunk. Had no problems in 37K miles....except when the Ford Dealer didn't bolt my speed control box-thingy back to my engine/fender and just left it lying around. Other than that the engine's been super (knock on wood).