Clunk at upshift "2007"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had our new Sport Trac in the shop 3 times for a trans problem. When we come up to a stop and the trans shifts back into 1st it has a clunk sometimes it feels like someone has run into the back of the truck. Has anyone any info on this?

Regards. Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Lemon Law time!

Check if your state requires that the auto manufacturer pay all legal fees if they lose a lemon law case. If your state requires this (and many do) then it will be easy for you to find a lemon law attorney that will work for you, free of charge, with no fees whatsoever even if you lose. The "catch" is that you will need an "open and shut" case for them to take the case, and that means that you have to have had the vehicle in at least 3 times to fix the same issue, that you have documentation of each service performed, that the problem still exists, and that the vehicle is less than 12 months old (some states allow it to be longer).

Good luck.

Oh, and don't think you are a "jerk" if you go this route. This is not your problem, it's Ford's. They are just trying to make it your problem. And if you decide to go this route, don't contact the dealer again. Just contact the lawyer.

TJR

you do not need a lawyer to go to arbitration for a lemon vehicle.. you do need to do alot of reasearch.. also after the 3rd attempt, YOU need to notify FORD VIA certified letter and give them 1 final attempt to fix the problem.. read the back of the manual, it should have an address for the BBB to file your claim after that. to get it bought back you will need to prove there is a Safety, Resale, or hinderance of use issue.. its harder than it most people think and if you have never done it, its so easy for people to say to do it.. SAFETY items are the easiest to win... if you can prove that the issue causes a SAFETY concern, you can definatly get them to replace or buy back the vehicle.. also you will be charged milage for the miles on the vehicle.. 45 cents a mile in most cases.. I won a lemon law battle with Isuzu in 2000 on a 1999 Rodeo.. I had a vibration issue and it was easy to prove it was a safety concern. Arbitrator drove the vehicle and agreed.. the process took over 6 months.. just do your homework if you go that route.. link below for lemon law info...

good luck

troy

:(I have had the Mechatronic changed 2 times and it works good for a while then does it all over again. Part # SPO 7L2Z 7Z369 B Module. This Trac only has 6,000 miles on also.:(

Call the 1-800 in the manual for ford customer service... tell them what the deal is... i'll bet 15 minutes after you get off the phone with them, your dealer will call and want to set up an appointment to keep you ST for a few days and give yo a loaner... take it in and let them work on it... if you get it back and its still not right, send them the certified letter asking for a buy back and see what happens... Isuzu spent over $6000 trying to repair my Rodeo after i talked to customer service.. its worth a shot... good luck

troy

also i think BillN is going to need some help with Ideas of how the clunk impairs the use, value, or safety of the vehicle if he decides to go the lemon law route... Hard Facts!!!

TroY, respectively you do NOT need to do all that and it needn't be a difficult process.

Yes, I understand what the manual says, and yes, I understand that Ford has a lemon law procedure that they would want you to go through. But, you don't HAVE to do that, and the lemon law attorney (the #1 in the state of PA) that handled my case against Ford warned against going the Ford route.

My experience is that IF your state requires the manufacturer to pay legal fees in the case of losing the case, then it's easy to find good, reputable lawyers that specialize in lemon law, and they are more than willing and able to chart all the muddy waters, make the case, and do all the leg work.

The hardest part you will have to do is make photo copies of all your service papers, the first few pages of your owners manual, and write-up of the problems to-date.

That's all I had to do, and I am speaking from experience. I don't see why it need be any harder, unless of course you get a bad attorney that wants you to do all the work, or you have a poor case...in which case a good attorney would have never taken the case.

P.S. I am assuming that given what BillN said that he has an "open and shut case", that a lemon law attorney would be easy to find and engage, and that arbitration is now his best route. If he wants to try to go the regional support route, then so be it. But for me, given the track record that Ford has displayed on jerking me around on problems, I would say "F' them in no uncertain terms", and the next call would be to FordMoCo's lemon law division from my lawyer.

TJR

TJR--PA has better lemon laws then most states....Flordia is alot like Delaware..

according to FLORDIA lemon law ( thats where BILLN is located)

Florida Lemon Law

Does your vehicle have a defect or condition that substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle?

A substantial defect or condition is a problem that substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. There is no easy answer to determine what types of defects or conditions substantially impair a vehicle’s use, value, or safety. It depends on the facts of each case. Minor or trivial defects, or defects caused by accident, abuse, neglect, modification or alteration by anyone other than an authorized service agent are not covered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you taken the vehicle to the dealership or an authorized service agent at least 3 times for the SAME substantial defect or condition or has the vehicle been out of service for at least 15 cumulative calendar days due to one or more substantial defects or conditions?

There must be three repair attempts for the same defect or condition, OR at least 15 cumulative calendar days out of service for one or more defects or conditions, before submitting the Motor Vehicle Defect Notification (MVDN) [14K PDF]. If you do not have the required number of repair attempts or days out of service, then continue to take the vehicle to the dealer for repairs.

Please Note: If your complaint is based on the vehicle being out of service for 15 or more days the manufacturer or its authorized agent has the opportunity to inspect or repair the vehicle. If the vehicle still does not conform to the warranty for a total of 30 or more days and the manufacturer has had the opportunity to repair, you are entitled to request arbitration.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you mailed by registered or express mail, return receipt requested, to the manufacturer of your vehicle (not dealer) the MVDN form which is located in your Lemon Law Handbook provided at the time of purchase?

After you have either at least three failed repair attempts for the same problem OR at least 15 cumulative calendar days out of service, you must file the Motor Vehicle Defect Notification (MVDN) [14K PDF] by registered or express mail, return receipt requested to the manufacturer to give the manufacturer a final repair attempt or inspection on your vehicle.

Have you had a final repair attempt/inspection after the manufacturer received the MVDN?

If you put the manufacturer on notice for the defects or conditions, the manufacturer has 10 days from receipt of the MVDN to respond and direct you to a reasonable accessible repair facility to have a final repair attempt or inspection on your vehicle. If you receive no response from the manufacturer within 10 days after the date of receipt, the law states the manufacturer has then waived their right to the final repair attempt and you may proceed with your Lemon Law rights.

The information you all have given has been very helpful to me. This really sucks because we love our Trac. This really sucks paying 30K plus for a truck and have these kinda issues. One thing I would like to say is Ford of Ocala Fl sevice dept will never have to worry about working on another vehicle from us again after this is all taken care of. The sevice person told me that this was normal for the truck to do this the 1st time I took it in. I could have reached out and slapped him upside his head, twice! It really does feel like someone has @$$ packed you when you come to a stop.

let us know how it works out and what you decide....do try the 1-800 customer support number. it shows you were realy trying to work with them on the issue...

troy

TroY, thanks for the education. Yes, it does seem the PA is much more friendly than Florida when it comes to Lemon Law.

There is no "final repair attempt" clause in the PA law. I find that an unfortunate addition to the Fla law. Three strikes should be enough.

TJR

Does the 2006 Explorer have the V8 with the 6 speed auto? I figured if it did, surely someone would have had issues with weird shift and clunks with their tranny. I did a search of the Explorer Forum and did not come up with anything. Or is this just a Sport Trac issue? Kinda makes you wonder.

Gary
:unsure:

Latest posts