Code PO171,174 too lean banks 1,2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
I fixed the PO442 code now the check engine light comae on and I took it to Advanced Auto to get the codes checked and it read PO171,PO174 too lean in banks 1,2. Any help on causes and how to fix it. :(:eek:

check out the FAQ's... that code, I believe, is a cracked PCV elbow.... Common on tracs, BTDT..

Last edited by a moderator:
So if it is the pcv elbow that would explain why last week I got the vacuum leak code PO442 come up right ? I'll check the elbow an all the other lines tomorrow morning and se if thats it, hopefully an easy, cheap fix.

The crack on the elbow normally happens on the bottom, you will need to remove it to see it. Often, if you squeeze it, it will feel soft on the bottom as well..

Jerry,3/23/2009 21:15 MT

So if it is the pcv elbow that would explain why last week I got the vacuum leak code PO442 come up right ? I'll check the elbow an all the other lines tomorrow morning and se if thats it, hopefully an easy, cheap fix.

The P0442 is not meant to mean that there is a vacuum leak. It simply means that there is a small leak in the evap system.

While the cracked pcv elbow has to be the #1 cause of p0171 & p0174, the #2 cause would be a dirty or defective mass airflow sensor. Keep in mind though that there are a good number of other things that could go wrong to cause these codes to set.

Last edited by a moderator: