Cold start Exhaust leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallyfiend

Reaction score
2009 STA with 4.6 V8 175K miles, has a very noticeable exhaust leak at cold start. The leak has existed for many months and is getting noticeably louder. It seems to disappear if I let the truck warm up for approximately 20 seconds before driving off. At first I thought I had a manifold leak, but then realized it went away after just a few seconds. I could not find any leaks at flanges or at the manifold/ cylinder head interface. Also no visible signs of exhaust leakage (soot trails or burning). This seems like an engine management issue. My first thought is EGR pipe has a hole in it that has gotten bigger over time. My research seems to indicate that this particular engine does not have an EGR system, so not sure what else it could be.

The gen 2 trac v8, has bad exhaust studs. There are replacement studs from ford. It will only get worse. Get them replaced before they break. It has happened to other gen2 owners on this site.

Look for 2 studs per cylinder, I bet a few are broken off and missing...… it can be a pain to do without the right tools... Some get lucky and an easy out and done, others had to lift the engine and drill and tap.... a few had to yank the motor...… Replace the manifolds too !!! did mine 3 months ago..

The gen 2 trac v8, has bad exhaust studs. There are replacement studs from ford. It will only get worse. Get them replaced before they break. It has happened to other gen2 owners on this site.
Very true. it is a factory defect. had my exhaust manifolds replaced twice.

Latest posts