Color matched headlights....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Spent some time baking and painting Lights tonight.....

I did this set of Estate green. They are curing tonight and I should assemble and install by the weekend..

I did manage to crack 1 corner , So I have to fix it or get a replacement...

ANY one have a Passengers side clear corner they want to sell ??

I will Say this, Paul and I are into this for 3 Hours and what we went through to do the corners, i don't think This would be worth it for me to do these for people... Total time plus 2 cans of paint and the clear coat is just not worth it....

I will post the installed pics once installed... Here are 2 progress photos..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will Say this, Paul and I are into this for 3 Hours and what we went through to do the corners, i don't think This would be worth it for me to do these for people... Total time plus 2 cans of paint and the clear coat is just not worth it....

Silly ToddZ, Trix are for.... never mind, wrong thread.

Hey, not worth it to you is worth it to somebody... that's when you get a custom order page for non-refundable, deposit based items.

Or you just color match a set for each of the popular ST colors, keep them handy, and sell them for a premium, oh say $300 - $400 for a set of all 4 lenses? You might not think there's a market, but if you're the only one selling them... buddy you've got a niche.

I feel your pain there, Todd. I was the first person to do this to a set of Ranger headlamps back in 2002, I got lots of requests to do other peoples, most backed down when we got about to nailing down the logistics of it all. It kinda ended up being a pain...

Were the corners aftermarket or stock? From my experience, the aftermarket ones are more prone to cracking then stock. I had no problems modifying stock corners, but aftermarkets wanted to crack or melt, I think I've bought 2 or 3 sets of clear corners...and my truck doesn't even use 'em.

I am still trying to think how I could do this...

I just saw the guy (sabersport) ON ebay is selling the black ones with the black clear corners...

I also cant paint these in the colder weather, MY house STINKS of paint... Made for a good nights sleep though !!!! :eek::eek:

Trav, Yes Aftermarket, they are a PAIN... I am going to try my factory ones with the amber lens, maybe they will be easier, But i don't see a market for those in color matched, Unless I am wrong ?? :unsure::unsure:

Rodger, There is a project already written, thats what gave me the idea...

Noble man, I do here ya, Thats why I am weighing the options, maybe the factory ones will be more popular..

I ALSO emailed some manufacturers, maybe I can buy them unassembled, that would make this easy as can be !!!

Will see how it goes...

Todd Z

Todd, what's the financial cost to do these yourself? I'm asking b\c I'm wondering if it's worth spending the money on buying the full set from sabersport instead of just buying a set of clear corners and then painting them myself.

Jake, IF your going to do black, Just spend the money on the set...

IF you want colored, I used auto body paint and silicone as a seal.... Close to $60.00 bucks plus the cost of the corners and headlights...

Todd z

jlevin,

I have not completed the process my self for the ST yet, but when I did this project on many tuner headlight assemblies it would normally take me an 1 - 1.5 hours for both headlights. The shorter time frame also came with practice on several of the same headlights. So if you were to calculate the time and the cost for 2 cans of paint for all the peices it is relatively cheap. That is of course you dont come across any disassembly problems or faulty spraying situations.

Todd,

fortunate;y for me I have a heated shop to paint my pieces in, but what I use to do when I was at home was preheat the pieces in the oven prior to paint. I found this to help adhesion in colder weather when spraying outside and to eliminate the odor of paint inside the house.

Jason

Jason, I here ya, I have access to that stuff also, But I am just trying to think about shipping, paint and all things associated with this to make it easier for me to make, and cheaper for members to purchase...

Todd Z

Ben the painting is the easy part.. IT is the patience to glue back together, the dealing with the warm parts and dealing with removing the aftermarket glue...

Just a little tedious.....

But the paint portion is easy.

UPDATE... THEY are assembled together and will be installed tomorrow...

Todd Z

Latest posts