computer gurus

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha my terabyte external drive emptied itself. It shows that it is empty. I am hoping that the files are deleted but still on the drive. There used to be a program to find deleted files if you gave the extension, (ie .jpg). Does anyone remember what it is called?

TKS Ed

you can google Undelete files...there are a lot of programs. i did use one that worked well but i also cant remember the name of it.

Ed,

Your files are probably not deleted, but the drive or controller is bad. You did not say if this is an internal or external drive?

I have a number of USB hardware adapters that allow me to extract files off of drives that have had some kind of catastrophic failures, however occasionally the drive is so badly damaged that I cannot see anything on the drive. This is true when your drive motor is gone bad and the disk will not even turn.

If your disk is turning but you cannot read the disk using USB converters, then you might try looking at some of the software solutions available...and if the data is critical, you can send the harddrive to a service that specializes in extracting data off of dead drives...but that is really expensive...They take all the readable data off the old drive and copy it too a new drive. The new drive is included in the price...so you are generally looking at several hundred dollars for the data extraction, and there is no guarantee that they will recover all your data, or even any of your data.

The best prevention is backups, backups, and more backups. I recommend a NAS system with Raid-! which means you get a Master and Slave copy of your data. I also recommend getting a good aftermarket Backup software and not rely on Windows Backups or the Backup services/software that may have come from your computer manufacturer.

I use Macrium Reflect Backup/Imaging software. It is not the only one out there but it is a fully functioning free backup software. It will make an Image copy of any disk and is 100% reliable. I have used it numerous times to restore an old laptop when I was trying various versions of Windows-7, 8, and 8.1 that came with a lot of additional unwanted software...grrrrr

The free backup software only makes image copies and restores (the entire disk) but I also wanted to be able to restore individual directories/files without restoring the whole drive, so I purchased licenses for the full version of Macrium Reflect. I converted all my PC's to Windows 8-1 and Macrium Reflect never missed a beat.

...Rich

Ed,

Your files are probably not deleted, but the drive or controller is bad. You did not say if this is an internal or external drive?

I have a number of USB hardware adapters that allow me to extract files off of drives that have had some kind of catastrophic failures, however occasionally the drive is so badly damaged that I cannot see anything on the drive. This is true when your drive motor is gone bad and the disk will not even turn.

If your disk is turning but you cannot read the disk using USB converters, then you might try looking at some of the software solutions available...and if the data is critical, you can send the harddrive to a service that specializes in extracting data off of dead drives...but that is really expensive...They take all the readable data off the old drive and copy it too a new drive. The new drive is included in the price...so you are generally looking at several hundred dollars for the data extraction, and there is no guarantee that they will recover all your data, or even any of your data.

The best prevention is backups, backups, and more backups. I recommend a NAS system with Raid-! which means you get a Master and Slave copy of your data. I also recommend getting a good aftermarket Backup software and not rely on Windows Backups or the Backup services/software that may have come from your computer manufacturer.

I use Macrium Reflect Backup/Imaging software. It is not the only one out there but it is a fully functioning free backup software. It will make an Image copy of any disk and is 100% reliable. I have used it numerous times to restore an old laptop when I was trying various versions of Windows-7, 8, and 8.1 that came with a lot of additional unwanted software...grrrrr

The free backup software only makes image copies and restores (the entire disk) but I also wanted to be able to restore individual directories/files without restoring the whole drive, so I purchased licenses for the full version of Macrium Reflect. I converted all my PC's to Windows 8-1 and Macrium Reflect never missed a beat.

...Rich

Thanks guys the drive is empty. I tried recovery and no help. I have most of the photos backed up.

Ed

Latest posts