Confused about Slipping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Foley

Reaction score
I started having problems with my 2001 ST automatic transmission and after reading all the posts having to do with the "flair" I'm kind of confused. Frequently when driving or even starting from a stop the transmission acts like it is in neutral. I can shift into all the gears including reverse and hit the gas with nothing but the engine revving. Eventually the transmission will re-engage and I can continue driving. It seems to help if I keep the RPMs as low as possible. This sounds different than the flair but with so many complaints I have to wonder. I had a taurus back in the day that had something similar happen, where the universal gear got stripped and the car could not be moved in any gear. But the fact that it will come and go is very confusing. Any possible diagnosis would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sorry to say but more than likely you are in need of a trans overhaul. The flair that everybody is talking about is best described as a momentary engagement of neutral when the vehicle is changing gears, not when starting off. On the other hand you could just have a low fluid level in your trans, if I were you I would check the level in your trans (follow your owners manual for how to do it) but if the level is ok you better start saving your money for a new trans now. Some advice...find the best trans shop you can, stay away from the "chain" stores and don't cheap out. Saving $200 here could cost you 5x as much in the future.

A total rebuild should cost less than 2 grand.

We got a full rebuild on the 2000 Explorer (knew we needed it before we got the vehicle) including upgraded parts, new valve body, and new torque converter.

Any higher than that and you are getting ripped off. We priced three different shops. The dealer was $2,200. The best price, with a 36,000 warranty was $1,800 or so, tax included.

Tom