Considering trading her in...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Scharff

Reaction score
I'm considering trading in the ST. Not liking the idea:unsure:, but I have to at least see what kind of deal I can get from trading her in on an '07 Honda Odyssey (yup a minivan :(). You all may be saying why a minivan...I have a growing family and need better gas mileage from one of my trucks...My wife drives an '04 Eddie Bauer Explorer which I would take over. I already know what I can get for the Eddie Bauer Explorer...Just testing the waters on the '03 ST.

Question to you guys out there what value would you put on an '03 XLT 4wd with all the bells & whistles? Here's what the truck has...

6 disc pioneer changer

leather heated seats

rear climate and radio controls

Moon roof

Factory Tonneau cover with the Lever lift system

Bed Extender

Bed mat

Magna Flow catback dual exhaust

Manik Front Brush guard

Class IV hidden hitch

EE Swaybar (Expertly installed by Todd Z! Thanks again Todd!)

The truck only has about 36K miles on it, and I have baby'ed this truck...Washed and waxed regularly, and the engine bay is immaculate. It's been in for all known TSB's and had it's oil changed every 3K miles. The exterior does have a few scratches that I have gotten from parking at the local train station (damn zippers on peoples bags as they try and squeeze between 2 cars)...But that is really the only flaw.

I'm haggling with a dealer, who's first figure they threw at me was $13K:angry:...I laughed and said I would not go any lower than $17K. Figuring I would be happy with $16K.

Am I crazy asking $16-$17K:huh:?

Private party and you might get it. Dealer wants to tack a couple of thousand on the trade in and sell it quickly.

Check kbb.com, edmunds.com for trade in/private party/dealer retail values.

Here's what I get from Edmunds on an '04 XLT 2wd, 53,xxx miles, outstanding condition.

$13,446 trade-in, $15,127 private party sale, $16,589 dealer retail. Unfortunately, all the extra's you put on do not up the trade-in value by very much, if any. A good way to tell is, if an option isn't on the Edmunds list, then it really doesn't matter. Of course, the dealer will up the retail price for all those things, but won't pay you.

Thanks guys...

I actually took the average "trade-in" values from 3 websites...

KBB.com

Edmunds.com

NADA.com

The average between the 3 came out to roughly 15K. Assuming the condition is "Good" (which one of the sites mentioned that most cars fit in that category.)

Thanks again...

If your trading it in for an import your always going to get less on a trade in. Toyota dealer went off KBB Actual Trade-in Value Good Condition when I traded the Trac in for and FJ Cruiser. It was just about what I expected considering the running boards were pretty scraped up but not a single scratch on the body.