Contemplating my next Mod

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
Well, I think the time is getting closer to get the exhaust upgraded. Here's my problem.... Years ago, I had a Dakota V8 that I added dual exhaust. Sounded great but it seemed to lose power after the install.

I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. I don't know much about the proper design of dual exhaust but I do know some buzz words like:

Mandrel Bent

Pipe Size

Cat Back

My Dakota had huge pipes - (3" I think). I want to do the right thing but I'm not sure what to get. I want Cat Back and NOT TOO LOUD! Getting too old for that. I want the sound to rumble only when I punch it - not all the time.

Any thoughts and recommendations?

he Magnaflow will give you the sound hat you want, but you will lose a little torque. The Gibson will be a litle quieter, but still the same thing with the torque.

Your pipe size on the dakota was too large. The only cat-backs out there for yours are 2.5" single systems. You can have a custom job single in dual out made. Stay with 2.5" tailpipes.

Don't go Gibson, sound isnt the best. Had one on my '97 and it also has a very annoying drone!

Dynomax sounds awesome and I haven't felt any loss. I wouldn't buy anything else. Oh, and best thing, no drone at all!!

If you can wait a few days I will have a Sound clip or Video for my Flowmaster 50-series Flowmaster!! Its going on Sat morning! Im removing the stock Muffler and Resonator. Keeping teh Stock 2.5" Piping!