Control arms and such

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kody Budinger

Reaction score
I took my truck into the shop today for alignment. I found out my control arms, ball bearing, and inner tie rod ends are busted. I'm looking at 95,000 miles so not sure if this is something that should happen at this mileage. Regardless has anyone does this project before and have any sort of direction I should go? And yes I have looked through the projects already.

I would look on ebay for the whole front end kits and do it all at once. Lower ball joints, upper arms, sway bar links, shocks if original. Moog will be recommended.

Also Rockauto.com

I did my suspension at 75k. Ordered parts at RockAuto and used the 5% discount. Much much cheaper then local stores even with shipping.

I did the following:

Inner and outer tie rods

Front and rear shocks

Front wheel bearings/hubs

Upper control arms/ ball joints

Lower ball joints

Sway bar bushings and endlinks front and ear

Got an alignment and drives like new!

Had a lot of front end noise, squeaks and squeals. Took it in to the dealership. (Yes, mistake 1!). They replaced front end suspension parts. That was 2 years ago and maybe 20k miles ago. Noise is back. Some days it sounds like the truck is going to vibrate apart. Other days no noise at all. Shocks replaced last year along with front brakes (rear drum brakes 2 years ago). Truck is a 2001, with 96k miles. Should I be saving money to get the front end replaced yet again? Opinions please.

Can someone in the know help me find one of these suspension kits for my 2005 XLT 2wd with Flex engine. The Ebay car finder thing says the kit will work then down in the kit description they say will not work on Sport Tracs. I am also confused about the possible two part upper ball joint and arm issue.

Thanks

Me - The kit on ebay will fit if you have a gen 1 Sport Trac. I bought the kit on ebay (from ebay seller apartswarehouse) and I am quite satisfied with the results.

The two part upper ball joint issue - The stock upper arms have a non-replaceable ball joint. Some aftermarket replacements sell you a new arm that accepts their own replaceable upper ball joint. I'm not sure this is any value as the full kit with new arms on ebay is less than $100 for both sides and it is no big deal removing the arms. So just ignore the two part solutions.

Might be useful for an off-roader who goes through ball joints like malted milk balls.

If you are to undertake this job, you will need the ball joint press tool like this one from harbor freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-4065.html

Best to get this with a discount coupon if possible.

Also while you are in there, its a good time to change the front wheel bearings. I found a pair online for $50 ea. They came with new ABS sensors, but mine we fine so I saved them for later.

Laredo Sport Trac - You should look at your body mounts. You are due.

Do I not need to worry about brand or quality of these parts? Most people on this site seem to like going with Moog parts for suspension. Does Moog make a kit like these no name Ebay kits?

Well, I can only state that I have had the parts on since last July. No out of the box failures.

Still feels tight after a pretty rough winter and potholes everywhere.

I think Moog is high quality, but I think even Moog has parts made in China.

I think we have to get used to the fact that high quality steel and precision machining is no longer the exclusive claim of the US and Europe.

The parts I got off ebay looked every bit as good as the Moog parts. Time will tell how well they hold up. If they last only 4 years I will still be happy.

I upgraded because I have 35" tires. Check the thread linked below. I have been very happy with these upper ball joints.

Latest posts