converting ST to a 4X4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot more than selling your 2wd and buying a 4wd...

If you can do the labor your self, you would need another donor trac, that right now is going to cost 6-8 thousand.... Then add on the labor....

Not worth it in my book..

Todd Z

Many people think about this and forget MUCH of the minor stuff that turns out to be MAJOR.

The tranny, transfer case and drive shafts are not a big deal. Once they are in, you move forwards. You'll need a front axle, front drive shaft, all the front suspension (upper/lower controls arms, spindle, brakes (complete)). Then you will need to run wires to modules you don't have. Get the switches, module and relays.

And this is not all of it just yet. Different crossmember(s), radio bezel or modify the switch to fit somewhere else, etc etc etc....

Can it be done. Sure it can. With the older vehicles it was easier than todays vehicles.

Like the above posts, you will have enough invested to actually purchase another vehicle.

I agree with Todd, If you want a 4X4 Sport Trac, sell your 4X2 and buy a 4X4. Converting your old 2wd will become a money pit. Just buying a 4x4 Sport Trac is cheaper and faster than any attempt at conversion.

...Rich

Here's my upgrade:

[Broken External Image]:

'04 Sport Trac XLT 4X2

[Broken External Image]:

'04 Sport Trac XLT Premium 4X4

The 4X4 conversion not only has the front differential. It has different shocks, a sturdier front sway bar and tow hooks. Not to mention the inner wiring for the 4X4 switch on the dash. I'm sure there are other things I don't even know about that are different. I'd say my route of trading up was less expensive in the long run, and everything was under Ford's warranty this way. :D

Latest posts