Coolant change advice requested

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard McAlister

Reaction score
I've done a search on coolants in this and other forums and found some good advice about what type of coolant to use. I am planning to change the coolant on my '05 ST (55k miles) and my '05 Jeep Liberty (17K miles) using Zerex G-05 coolant (meets the WSS-M97B51A1 and HOAT specs). Coolant in both is clear and bright with no cooling system symptoms or problems. I'm changing the fluid only because they are both now 5 years old. I can buy the Zerex locally, nearest Ford dealer is a 70 mile trip.

My questions:

I hate the thought of cutting a heater hose and inserting a plastic tee. Is a flush needed, or will a simple drain and refill do? What is the best way to most completely drain the system?

Thanks for the advice.

rmac

:driving:

I would leave both alone, and add a quart of radiator additive to restore the anti corrosion and lubrication properties...... both vehicles should be good for 100,000 miles, at least...

I did both my 03 and 04 with the Ford gold at 60K...... Just worth it to me for the extra piece of mind....

I did a home made flush sytem... But at 55K a drain and fill should be ok for you...

You can also order 2 gallons of the ford OEM coolant Online too....

I just go with the OEM stuff.....

Todd Z

I just pull off the lower radiator hose and drain it into a bucket. By far the fastest way to do it. Refill it with water, drive around town with the heater on for about a mile, repeat twice more. On my old '05 I just used the Prestone that says it's compatible with everything. I use distilled water on the final refill too.

I have 6 yrs on my '04. Not the millage though. I have all the distilled water already. I will buy the zerex gold. I have never had problems with zerex brand. Used it since it came out.

I will pull my top hose and put a water hose in the radiator. Then I will pull the bottom hose for the dump. If the block has any plugs, they will be pulled also. Also open the heater valve. I dont care to use plastic flushers either. So I make a mess. Never had cooling problems.

It's not just mileage, it's time and electrolysis that you have to worry about. Even just sitting over time the coolant can develop an electrical charge because of the mix of different metals. And it isn't simply a loss of effectiveness, old coolant will help you lose a head gasket as well. Many vehicles say to change the coolant at 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. That's why.

Latest posts