Coolant hose question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the short (but large diameter) coolant hose that runs between the thermostat housing and water pump? I plan on taking a road trip early next year and I have never replaced any hoses on my 2004 ST. Other than normal fluid changes (coolant, oil, transmission and brake fluid) and a belt change, my ST has had minimal service requirements. In fact, Im just now replacing the OEM tires which still have adequate tread but showing some small cracks in the sidewall area. So..I'm planning on changing the main coolant hoses and perhaps replacing the thermostat itself, but I think changing out that short hose would be prudent. Anyone know how difficult? Any other comments / service suggestions (air filter replaced)? Thanks as always. (approx 60K miles / highway use only)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a simple matter of taking the t-stat housing off. Have you checked to make sure the housing isn't leaking any from the seam between the part that has the sensors and the bowl? That is a very common failure point for the 4.0L SOHC engine.

I'm positive that I have no leaks...and of course I don't want any. Does the housing have to come apart to replace that bottom hose, or does the whole unit lift off?

Use steps 1 thru 4 in this link for thermostat replacement. Finish with step 9.

Front lower bypass hose can be done without removing the lower housing.

A hose clamp or right angle plier would make replacing it much easier.

Use steps 1 thru 4 in this link for thermostat replacement. Finish with step 9.

If I understand those steps correctly, they don't involve removing the lower part of the thermostat housing...thus I don't see how to remove the lower hose. I assume that the housing needs to come apart in order to remove/replace that lower hose. Is that correct?

IIRC, involved "folding" the new hose in half, lubrication, and maneuvering.

(With great difficulty) I left my original on, seemed to be in good condition.

I have change the bypass hose as Steve said. On other cars. Not on my st yet. So It probably can be done. Just a PITA. At least this one is curved which helps.

I have done it on some cars, where the hose was 3" and straight. That was a real PITA..

I studied the "project link" provided above and I understand that the thermostat unit has to be taken apart to reach that bypass hose. Looks like a pain based on all the seals that are involved. What I don't understand is why the person that did the project did not replace that simple hose when doing that involved work. If he did, he didn't mentioned it.

Couldn't agree more, that $10 bypass hose failing, would be a roadside nightmare.

My dilemma was having everything apart, and not having a replacement. Stupid. :banghead:

I replaced my thermostat, thermostat housing (upper and lower), ECT sensor and sender, and hose between the housing and water pump. It's going to be a real PITA job. I actually found my original hose to be in great shape, but at that point decided to replace it anyway. I found that it was easier to install by first placing the hose on the lower housing and then onto the pipe to the water pump. The link that swshawaii referred you to was quite helpful, especially the suggestion re the 8mm swivel socket and placing the rear housing bolt into the thermostat housing before working the housing into position for the reinstall.

Latest posts