coolant leak - repost

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mario Gagala

Reaction score
Hello, after checking the upper and lower thermostat housings, the block freeze plug, i found out that it wasnt any of the lications that the fluod was leaking from.. I dried the entire area where was wet. Started the car let it get hot and then turned it off. After a while i noticed the fluid coming from the little dip. Right beside the freeze plug. It seems that its coming from under the air manifold. Is there a hose under there. Before i start taking it apart..

Another thing that it puzzling me. Does the rad cap have a build in thermostat. If so maybe its not opening. The pressure is building up and releasing the fluid through some valve?

I uploaded a lic. I hope its in my library. I wasn't sure how to get it here. Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mario

Heater Control Valve? (Motorcraft YG364)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlikely your issue but check anyway. Common failure.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That Valve on the 2001 to 2003 ST is actually located on the FRONT of the engine by the belt tensioner. Ford moved it Later on in life for the 04 and 05....

Todd Z

Similiar problem on my 2001. The housing that holds the thermostat was cracked on the bottom and not visible. The intake manifold (so called on older cars) had to be removed to get the cracked piece out.

Not a fun job in an unheated garage in Iowa.

Job must be done as no amount of "Bars Leaks" will seal this.

good luck.

Latest posts