Coolant Leak to Nowhere?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

bk10s

Reaction score
'02 Sport Trac, 206K. No visible leaks. Smell coolant outside of truck after driving. Reservoir goes down about 20% every 10 days or so. Grrrrrrr. Help!

DILLARD000

V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2001 job 2
Reaction score
At 206kMiles, assuming you've still got original factory JunkPlastic ThermoStatHousing,
9to1 VegasOdds its the problem; a NotoriousFailureItem,
tends to split along PlastiWeld lower~upper body seam, leaks coolant into engine valley under IntakeManifold.
Makes a smelly swamp that evaporates with engine heat,
until leak gets big enough to actually drip all the way to the ground.

Best to replace\upgrade it with an Aluminum version.
Click here for more on swapping in an Aluminum ThermoStatHousing.

Consider renewing OilPressurized TimingTensioners while TStatHousing is out of the way.
Click here for more on replacing OilPressurized TimingTensioners.

Last edited:

DILLARD000

V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2001 job 2
Reaction score
If you have a garage\driveway space to work in, plus basic wrench set & tools;
yes you can do this yourself; just requires a little patience & a few hours.
Using a flashlight, take a closer look under the ThrottleBody into the EngineV, to confirm the problem.

bk10s

Reaction score
Upon further investigation (with the flashlight!), it appears that the leak is from the back of the engine, dripping down onto the exhaust pipe. What would that be?

DILLARD000

V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2001 job 2
Reaction score
Upon further investigation (with the flashlight!), it appears that the leak is from the back of the engine, dripping down onto the exhaust pipe. What would that be?
2 possibilities:
~ the JunkPlastic TStatHousing is leaking back into EngineV, then overflowing to the rear, over+around the TransmissionBellHousing, over the ExhaustPipe to the ground.
~ some early V6~4.0L~SOHC engines were fitted with a PCVValve "WarmingLoop";
this 5/16"ID Hosed loop operates parallel with the 5/8"Hosed Heater loop, runs around the back of the Engine, thru an "OxBow" fitting around the PCVValve on the rear of the left ValveCover. This "RubeGoldberg Invention" never worked well & can leak; I deleted the 5/16" loop & associated OxBow+T fittings several years ago.

2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.AirN_PCVa.Valv_Ford.ev268.JPG 2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.AirN_PCVb.Valv_Ford.ev268.JPG 2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.AirN_PCVc.Valv_Ford.ev268.JPG

Last edited:

bk10s

Reaction score
Yes, I replaced the PCV about a week ago and thought that setup with the heater loop was a little weird. I'll check again, but no leak when I originally installed. The leak I have started before PCV replacement, and is slowly getting worse. Focusing on that lower thermostat housing.

curtis james

4 wheel drive
Reaction score
I still have the plastic factory junk thermo housing and with 60k miles, i keep putting it off and when i drive on trips i walk in front and smell for coolant knowing if i just would replace it i would have a piece of mind but knowing the odds like vegas i have not, kind of like why i go to vegas quite often. stupid , stupid, stupid.. please let us know the end results so it gives me one more reason to replace mine..

Vegas Sporty

Reaction score
I replaced mine with a factory OEM plastic. I did find the bolt torque for the bolts. I believe this is why some many are having problems with these leaking after an install. Over tightening and warping the whole unit. Other wise go with the all aluminum that's offered. Can't go wrong with it but again find the torque for the bolts to ensure it's not going to fail.