coolant leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Rufus

Reaction score
I have a 02 RWD with over 250,000 miles and the orginal owner and developed a coolant leak. The leak is on the drivers side, and I can only see the leak coming off the starter. Firestone has informed me it MAY Be the head gasket. Was researching former post and somehow convinced myself the head gasket is not the problem. I hate to get rid of the Sport Trac but if it's the gasket and will have to part with it. Any suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to a decent shop and get a cooling system pressure check. Pull your dipstick (don't wipe it off as usual) and check for indications of coolant in the oil. Hopefully you don't have that, as small amount of glycol (coolant) in the oil will attack rod and main bearings very quickly.

Nothing strange on the dipstick is good news. I doubt you have a blown head gasket. There are several write-ups on this website about coolant leaks from the thermostat housing, as well as an excellent DIY with pics. Put your truck up on stands and see if you can trace the coolant leak. With 250K on 'er I'd look closely at water pump and thermostat housing. Good luck to ye.

Latest posts